Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any 55+ folks installing a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Any 55+ folks installing a pool?

We are in the process of taking down our 20+ year AGP. Toying with the idea of making the next pool in ground. Has anyone else done this when you were in 50's or 60's? What was your thought process on it? I am just thinking at some point we won't be able to take care of it ourselves or want to take care of it and don't want to move.

Is a vinyl pool easier to 'retire' when the time comes? I am thinking Fiberglass and Concrete would be harder to get rid of than vinyl.

Many Thanks!!
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

Sundance Spa; Chelsea (468 gallons). Former 28ft AGP owner for 20 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Any 55+ folks installing a pool?

My husband and I both turned 50 last fall and signed a build contract on an in-ground gunite pool (in progress). For me it's a lifelong dream come true and a wonderful place for future memories with our brood of kids and grandkids. I'm not worried about down the road, just where we are now and enjoying the life we have. We will tackle any "old age" issues when they become issues. AND we will be debt free before we turn 65
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

3. Back To Top    #3

Just turned 60 in April and hope to break ground on our first pool later this summer! My reasoning: The TFP maintenance protocol will keep me in shape, so I'll be able to enjoy the pool for many, many years to come
    8K gal 13'Wx19'L IG kidney. 3.5' to 5'6" depth. Pentair: Ultratemp 120 heater/chiller; Intelliflo 2 VS pump; Intellichlor IC40 SWG; cartridge filter; EasyTouch controller. 3 wall returns, 1 skimmer, 1 cleaner line. Tremron Oak Run coping and pavers. Noble Tile Toscano waterline. Marbletite's Freestone pebble in St. Thomas. TF100 and K1766 test kits.

4. Back To Top    #4

Our inground pool was finished in December - I'm 60 and my husband is 64. This is how we see it: 60's - the new 40's.
    Dig was September 21st and it's been "full steam ahead" since. It is a 16' x 32' free form with an 18" high wall (steps on each side) with two 24" water features, salt water, sun deck (10'), and a spa (8') with a 48" spillover. All Pentair products and color LED lights. Screen enclosed.

5. Back To Top    #5

About the time I turned 57, we moved into a house that had an inground vinyl pool that needed to be brought back to life. I expect to easily get 20 years or more out of it. I have four daughters who live nearby, and two granddaughters, so the pool will be used for many years to come.

I think fiberglass might be almost as easy to retire as vinyl. If the fiberglass pool is in good shape, they can pull it out of the ground, recondition it, and move it to another location.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Glad to hear I hear I am not crazy for wanting this. The trend seems to be that people tend to give up on pools at this age. It isn't easy to just "stop" being a pool owner, without some work. I know how quickly my parents health deteriorated. After a health scare this year, I want to ENJOY whatever time I have left. Planning to get help with openings and closings, which are the most stressful.
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Built a new house and moved to Tucson at age 61. Built the in ground pool the next year. Now at age 72, I am still enjoying my children and grandkids using the pool. We also host regular water aerobics sessions in the pool. As far as the maintenance, I have an infloor cleaning system (you can use a robot instead) and a SWG. Weekly maintainance consists of emptying skimmers, testing and adding a little acid. Backflush and recharge my filter a few times a year. I am planning on continuing to maintain my Trouble Free Pool myself for many years to come.

If you want a pool, go for it!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Both of us turning 54 this year. First pool build completed in April. We love the idea and our married kids and GRANDS love it! Good excuse to get them to come over.
    32' 4" by 22' 4" Free Form Gunite Pool. 478 Sq Ft surface area, 95' perimeter, 14,895 Gallon Play Pool. Pentair SVRS, 60 Sq ft DE Filter, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump. 500 Watt LED light. Tegulia Table, Tanning Ledge and 3 Step entry. Plaster: Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Anitgua

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Our kids and grandkids loved the pool so much, they just bought a new house, with a pool. So I guess they won't be coming over to use our pool very much now.

But, the good news is we should still see them a lot. Their new house is directly across the street from us!
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Yup. The parties are always at our house and we love that!
    Good luck,
    Young-at-Heart Marian

11. Back To Top    #11

Its been a long month of looking at proposals and making decisions. At this point we are leaning toward not doing a IG pool. Between seeing all the possible things that can go wrong with a build or a pool over time and looking at some of the posts in other places on people keen on filling in their pool, it has been a bit discouraging. Anyone else been down this road and can offer advice? Children are grown. No Grand kids yet and may not live locally. We aren't party people. Hubby is in later 60s, so not sure how long we would be able to take care of a pool. I won't do another AG pool.
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.

12. Back To Top    #12

Try a hot tub..fun too.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

13. Back To Top    #13

How much do you love being in a pool? My hubby is in the pool almost every night and he's the one who poo-pooed my dream of building a pool. Don't be discouraged if it's what you want.

A vinyl liner is easier to maintain IMO.

14. Back To Top    #14

I don't find taking care of a pool to be all that difficult, if you follow the TFP method and have a robot cleaner. We just finished our first and only pool (yes, I qualify for the topic!) in April, so maybe it's too early for me because it's all still so new. What we've found is we are outside much more and it's made our backyard much more usable for when we do have people over.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

15. Back To Top    #15

We have had a hot tub since before we got an AGP. We are on our 2nd that is 6 years old now. Would NEVER trade that for anything. For this summer, it has become our "pool". I can get some exercise, float or just sit. It is great.
    SunCountry
    South Phila PA area.