Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers Check

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers Check

After my new build and having the builder maintain the pool for the first month I have now had 'control' for the past couple of weeks. Currently running my pump 24/7 at about 1700 rpm which is pulling about 300 watts (Builder highly recommended running pump 24/7 at a low speed). Run the Polaris in the early mornings for 3 hours. Pool is crystal clear and clean. Still adjusting my salt system in order to bring free chlorine down to a target of around 5. Has beenn running at 40% just adjusted down to 35% so we shall see where that levels out. From my numbers it looks like TA is a bit high and CH is a bit low but don't really think I need to make any adjustments there since they are pretty close. Pool has been eating about 32oz of acid every 3 days. Water temp is currently 85. Any suggestions from the experts?

FC 9
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 225
    CYA 70
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers Check

Other than letting your FC fall a little as you continue to adjust the SWG, not really. You're doing quite well. You know about the acid/aeration trick to lower TA right? So in time you can continue to do that as needed which should help with the pH rise a little. It won't eliminate it, but may help. Good work!

Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looking good! Probably don't need to run the cleaner 3 hours a day. I only run mine an hour a couple of times a week.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a bunch of trees surrounding my property and I've found if I don't run the Polaris everyday I end up with some leaves and dirt on the bottom of the pool. I am however going to shorten up the daily run time.
    Completed April 2016: 22x36 3.5-5.5-4 Inground, 17,500 gallons, Aquapure SWG, Jandy 2hp Variable Speed, Jandy 460 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280, Aqualink PDA4, Jandy Nichless LED lights, Diamondbrite color Steel Blue, Noche Travertine Coping & Deck

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to bring CH up to 350-450 since you have an SWG. I would not consider where you are "close enough".

I'm betting you can run your pump at 1700 RPM and only run 12 hours a day and still have perfect water. I run a lower RPM than that for 24 hours, but my pool is 44,000 gallons. My water looks great! Just be sure you adjust your SWG up accordingly.

You are going to keep eating acid until you get that TA down.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    You need to bring CH up to 350-450 since you have an SWG. I would not consider where you are "close enough".

So I'm a bit hesitant to increase CH because it has been coming up slowly since the pool was built. Pool math says to add 324oz of Calcium Chloride to take me from current 225-350. Does that sound right? Seems like a lot.

7. Back To Top    #7

That's what it (Poolmath) is saying. However when I plug-in all of your numbers, your CSI is just barely under zero at about -0.18 which is not bad at all. By contrast if you had the same pH and TA with a CH of 350, you would be at a positive 0.05 - well below the potential for scale. So either way I think it's still quite manageable, just make sure to watch the "CSI" row on the calculator. I'm saying these things based on the health of your plaster. If your SWG has a specific CH requirement, then you may want to take note of that as well.

With summer approaching, if your fill water is real hard, you may want find it best to stay a little below and let the fill water make-up the difference in CH.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

I track my CSI number daily. It changes a bit day to day depending on were PH is but over the past couple of weeks it swings a bit but never has it been more/less than+/-.25 which seems to be well within the 'good' range. This is the reason I have considered the CH and TA close enough. I'm working on lowering the TA to try and help a bit with acid demand but we shall see how much that helps considering brand new plaster and SWG create quite a bit of demand on their own.

My fill water is extremely soft. Test of water straight out of the faucet has CH at just about 0 (and no there is no water softener at the house).

Summer is HERE! At least in the deep south.

9. Back To Top    #9

I remember that north shore soft water when I lived in metry! Even more reason to raise Ch To 350 because it won't increase on its own much. Good job watching that CSI! Raising CH will give you more room for error.

We have a ton of trees too. During busy tree season I run the pump 14 to 24 hours a day to keep the stuff skimmed. At 150 watts and 10.25c/kWh I can run my pump 24x7 for 12 bucks a month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

OK just coming off a slam and chlorine and pH are still pretty high should I wait until chlorine drops to add acid or try to get the pH down and just let the fc Drop on its own using SWG water is pretty clear and here are my numbers
    FC 11
    PH 8.2
    CC 0
    CYA 70
    TA 100
    Salt 3900
    SWG set at 25% dropping to 10%
    CH 250

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

You've got it. Wait until FC drops below 10, adjust ph and you should be good to go.

Also fill out your signature
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks, I'll recheck in a day or so, expecting rain tomorrow also.
    16 X 32 Vinyl: 19K gal IG Goldline AquaPlus P4 controller Hayward T-cell-15 SWG
    Pentair Superflo 1Hp Hayward 24" ProSeries sand filter
    Polaris 280 cleaner PB4-60 Polaris booster
    TF-100 Test kit