Metals in water

kimma

May 27, 2014
Edgecomb Maine
Hello from Edgecomb, Maine. I filled my pool from our well, bought a sand filter pump. When I mistakenly added powdered shock to the water it instantly turned green. I have been filtering and back washing for a couple days, and the water is just about clear again. but now my f2 level is back to 0. I am not sure what to add for chemicals so I don't get the green back. This is an Intex 18 X 52 above ground pool. Just used poolmaster test strips and my alk and ph are spot on

Aside from replacing your metal-filled water with a fresh source and/or constant filtering, your best and most reliable method of metals management is to add sequestrant to the water and replenish it periodically. Sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you need to add more regularly. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. Here's the TFP Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains page just in case you need it.

As for testing, the sooner you can obtain a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006 the better. You'll need that accuracy for FC testing which is critical when manipulating metal in the water. I recommend the TF-100 due to its quality and amount of reagents. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.