Opening Pool for the Season-Where do I start?!!

CSauf

May 27, 2016
Morristown, MN
We have a Super Splash above ground pool, 4590 gal., with Sand Filter. We also have the endless pool jets for swimming laps. We live in a rural area and have filled the pool with well water.

I have not added anything to the water yet. The water is a light murky green color.

Total Chlorine=0
pH=7.2
TA=Off the Chart, If I tested correctly 470
CH=Also off the Chart, maybe 500
CYA=0

I'm guessing that there are metals in the water.

So, where do I start? Do I worry about the metals first, so bring my pH up or start aerating the pool to bring the alkalinity down? At what point do I start adding CYA and chlorine?

Thanks so much for your help.

I am using hth 6 way test kit, its what is readily available in our area. I may need to order something different online. I have been reading all the different articles but do get confused with all the different variables. I will go ahead and add the CYA and bleach. Any advise about the high TA & CH? Could my readings be skewed due to cool water temps (60 degrees F)?

Thanks for your help.

I believe your pool is vinyl, in which case CH is not as important as it would be in a plaster pool. Again, you can aerate, but you need to worry more about your CL. You need a test kit that provides you with an accurate reading. Strips can be vague and inaccurate. If I were you, I would order one of the test kits mentioned above. Once you get your test kit results you will plug those number into PoolMath (tab above) and it will calculate how much "stuff" you need to add to get your water level safe and swimmer ready.

For aerating when you get there I just used a little piece of tubing to create a ventrillieventrilly effect off my return jet. Started yesterday with ph of 7.2 after 7 hours I had gotten 1 gal of muriatic acid in there and ph was still 7.2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.