Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool for the Season-Where do I start?!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool for the Season-Where do I start?!!

We have a Super Splash above ground pool, 4590 gal., with Sand Filter. We also have the endless pool jets for swimming laps. We live in a rural area and have filled the pool with well water.

I have not added anything to the water yet. The water is a light murky green color.

Total Chlorine=0
    pH=7.2
    TA=Off the Chart, If I tested correctly 470
    CH=Also off the Chart, maybe 500
    CYA=0

I'm guessing that there are metals in the water.

So, where do I start? Do I worry about the metals first, so bring my pH up or start aerating the pool to bring the alkalinity down? At what point do I start adding CYA and chlorine?

Thanks so much for your help.
    17X9X4 foot oblong above ground pool, 4590 gal. capacity, sand filter, Endless lap pool w/ jets, well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool for the Season-Where do I start?!!

How did you test?
    For now, add chlorine and CYA to 25-30. You can have a pool store test your metals, but call first to make sure they check for them.
    You can aerate. That's fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I would worry more about not having any chlorine in your pool before worrying about the metals. Time to start reading...Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry What test kit are you using? We stand behind the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006. I would get some bleach in it so you do not wind up with a green monster.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am using hth 6 way test kit, its what is readily available in our area. I may need to order something different online. I have been reading all the different articles but do get confused with all the different variables. I will go ahead and add the CYA and bleach. Any advise about the high TA & CH? Could my readings be skewed due to cool water temps (60 degrees F)?

Thanks for your help.
    17X9X4 foot oblong above ground pool, 4590 gal. capacity, sand filter, Endless lap pool w/ jets, well water

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I believe your pool is vinyl, in which case CH is not as important as it would be in a plaster pool. Again, you can aerate, but you need to worry more about your CL. You need a test kit that provides you with an accurate reading. Strips can be vague and inaccurate. If I were you, I would order one of the test kits mentioned above. Once you get your test kit results you will plug those number into PoolMath (tab above) and it will calculate how much "stuff" you need to add to get your water level safe and swimmer ready.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can just order the FAS-DPD test and you will have a complete kit. However, if your HTH 6-way is getting low on reagents, get a complete tf100 or a k2006C.

When you get some FC and CYA in there, you can work on lowering TA. Here's how: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks to all! I added the CYA last evening placing it in a sock in the skimmer and added bleach. I will test the chlorine when the rains stops and add again. Thanks again for the help.

8. Back To Top    #8

For aerating when you get there I just used a little piece of tubing to create a ventrillieventrilly effect off my return jet. Started yesterday with ph of 7.2 after 7 hours I had gotten 1 gal of muriatic acid in there and ph was still 7.2
    18' round regatta AGP 52" wall
    1 HP Hayward turbo flow II pump
    Hayward XStream cartridge filter