Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tigershark impeller getting stuck. Needs kick start or else won't start...what now?

1. Back To Top    #1

Tigershark impeller getting stuck. Needs kick start or else won't start...what now?

Hi,

I just bought a used tigershark. After some troubleshooting today, I noticed the impeller would not start, but once I gave it a kick start with my finger it would start up and remain on. This happens every time i power off and on. Tried some wd-40 but since the motor box is sealed for water, d40 won't get in there. Any ideas besides changing the entire motor box which costs a fortune!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tigershark impeller getting stuck. Needs kick start or else won't start...what no

I would guess that the impeller is being obstructed by debris such as string or hair being wrapped around the impeller shaft. Can you remove the top restrictor plate so that you can see the impeller easier and perhaps remove any obstructions?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tigershark impeller getting stuck. Needs kick start or else won't start...what no

I'd remove the impeller and see what is going on. The portion of the plastic impeller that goes on the metal shaft may be worn and not being held tightly against the shaft.

http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h..._impeller.aspx

As long as you're going to remove it to check for an obstruction - I'd put a new impeller on.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I did that already. impeller looks new. removed it and nothing around the shaft either If the motor didn't work at all, I'd say motor is dead, but it works, just needs that kick start

5. Back To Top    #5

A lot of viewers but not many comments! Please dont be shy!!