size of ppol of ppm needed? Also Circupool and Discount Salt Pool

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
Hello All,

Trying to decide between a DSG, Stenner, etc....and just have some questions.

I really would like to go with an Industry leader like Hayward, but everyone states my pool size at 38,000 is too much for the 40K cell. But shouldnt you really go by the amount of chlorine needed per day verus the size of the pool? I never really monitored the amount of chlorine my pool used till this year, and currently it drops by 1 ppm per day. which ithink which is within the realm of possibilities with the hayward.

I looked at the Circuppol stuff and while it looks like it would be my seconf choice behind Hayward, quite honestly I dont really trust companies that sell several brands but show comparison charts that promote the one product they are the sole distributor for then act like they are impartial and fair. Am I the only one that this bothers? I also would like to stay with a system with the t15 type cell so I can get aftermarket cells in the future if wanted. Also, I really hate the control unit for Circupool. whey would you make something that has to sit outside with out any kind of a case?

I starting to favor a homemade type of Liquidator system, even though I really like the automated delicery amounts offered by SWG.....

I think I know the major issues, there just doesnt seek like a clear cut best way to do this....

Thanks for all your help and support.

What about using a Pentair Intellichlor IC60? It is rated for 60k gallons and will work great for your pool. Or you could go with the T15 and let it take care of the majority of the FC need and supplement with bleach on big swimming weekends. You might be using 1 ppm FC now, but in mid-summer with max sun, water temp and lots of swimming your FC usage is going to climb.

Pooldv,

Thanks for the reply. The T15 with supplemental bleach additions is really how I am leaning. Evereyone loves the Hayward systems and the cost of replament cells are much cheaper. I inherited this pool with the house and really had no handle on the FC/CC until last year when I had major issues with FC/CC being at the same level. I used to trust Leslie who only tests for CC. I would put my Chlorinator on 5 - 7 for 12 hrs a day. At the end of last season once I got everything figured out, it would go days without having to use the chlorinator. This year I have not put it on at all and dont intend to. Have been monitoring my FCl loss and as mentioned it hovers around 1 ppm per day. I might do nothing right now until I have more time under my belt figuring out exactly what it uses. I slammed it 2 weeks ago to 24 ppm and its at 7.5 as of yesterday. Left it over the weekend on friday at 11.5 and it was 7.5 on Monday. Friday and Saturday were in excess of 90 degress and we got 4 inches of rain Sunday night. Water temp is now 78. Is there any way I can calculate how temperature will effect the FC loss? We never have more then 3 people in the pool at a time so my major concern is just leaving it for a week at a time in the summer and on weekends when we are not here.

Thanks again

If you go with Hayward, expect the cell not to last as long as one that is rated for 60k gallons. You will also have to run the pump for more hours, but if you have a VS or 2-speed pump then it could run on low-speed to save on electricity.

You might want to look into the LL cells, long life, I heard they have a 5 year warranty.

What helps is that you are up north and have a short swim season so you would be in better shape than someone with a pool open year round.

There are too many variables to predict your pool's FC consumption.

With a larger capacity, the SWG does not have to run as long for a given amount of CL. Which means the cell will last longer. I have the Circupool RJ 30+ and the controls are mounted to the outside of the house. Very weather proof and easy to see a use.

Thanks pooldv,

Thats what Iam thinking... the Pentair looks nice, but they are more expenseive and the cell replacement is high. The one thing I like about the Hayward is the sheer number of them out there has created a market for generic cells....i know thatthe cells woant last as long running all the time, but it doesnt cost as much to buy...I can get a AQR15 with a 40,000 gallon cell for $850. Thats cheaper then Circupool...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.