Outdoor kitchen wood frame?

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Hi folks, how ok is it to do the wood frame for the outdoor kitchen and how big of an issue it is with wood expansion/contraction due to temp changes? Will the durarock lock it down pretty good and prevent it from moving?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've a lot of builds with wood frames that seem to hold up over time. My only concern would be around the grill, where you should have some type of barrier (durock) to keep the heat away from the wood. Otherwise, properly waterproofed durock covered wood frame should be good to go.

There are two major reasons not to do a wood frame. The first is that you cannot put a grill directly into a wood frame. Grill makers have various different specs on how to install their respective grills. For example Lynx requires an insulated metal jacket. Blaze requires a 14 inch clearance from any combustible material. Other manufacturers have similar requirements.

The second is mildew and rot. Even well ventilated wood rots.metal and concrete. Will last years longer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.