In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Helping a friend. They are flipping a house and with it came the pool! Pool store told him not to add chemicals until all gunk is out, he was having trouble making progress so I told him about TFP.

356193f06e1e6053c6ca6fdc908b478d.jpg

First test:
FC-3.0
Ph-6.8

The pool store sold him this shock. He dumped in 10 gallons.
bc977ff118caef56104804f2ea9c78cb.jpg

2nd test after dumping in shock:
FC-7.5
Ph off the charts maybe 10 based on color. It was dark magenta.

Stumped with why ph went so high. Thinking maybe pool store shock is causing it?

Here are his pump settings -

72025150cf8b04097852258c233cc9ee.jpg

I wasn't sure what setting he should be on? While vacuuming he has to backwash every two hours!

Happy slamming. Hope to see progress soon!

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk

PH will be bogus. At free CL levels above 10

I thought it was odd that two hours before he dumped in all of that shock ph was 6.8 so I had gone over to add some borax, but second check had ph off the charts. So it's just from the high chlorine levels? My PH stayed within normal range when I slammed our own pool so just trying to make understand :) Thank You!

The PH test is invalid when FC is above 10 ppm. Whatever it says is meaningless. PH should have been raised to 7.2 before starting the SLAM, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. PH below 7.0 can damage equipment and pools. Especially since 6.8 is often the lowest reading in a PH test and in reality it could be much lower than that. I would let FC drop to 9 or 10, adjust PH and resume the SLAM.

I learned about needing to raise the ph after we had already started dumping in bleach. ? however even after dumping in 10 jugs of shock, FC was only 7.5 when per second check.

Just checked levels..... FC was well over 10. So I am thinking when I checked last night he must have just added it. No change in water color. Psi on pump had dropped from 25 to 20. I am wondering if there is a clog somewhere. The water coming out of the jets isn't very strong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! I will check that when I go back this afternoon. There are not any weirs on either skimmer. I'll check for pump basket.

I was also wondering if he should use the other settings on his pump or just backwash and filter? There is a waste option, and recirculated, and rinse.

Algae clogs filters quickly. Clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure.

He has been backwashing every 2 hours while vacuuming. I wasn't sure what it meant when psi drops. Could that also indicate a need to backwash as well or possibly a different problem, like a clog somewhere?

Don't know what I'd do with this site! - Thank You all :) :)

Waste is if you want hook up a vacuum and vac to waste. A pressure drop could be a bad gauge or debris blocking flow to the gauge. Don't use recirculate if they have an SWG. It will just send a lot of junk through the plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.