Equipment Location Opinions

Nginerd

Gold Supporter
May 15, 2016
Howell, MI
I'm trying to decide between two different locations for the pool equipment, and I need to lock it down so that I can spec out the pump. I'm planning on a 400k BTU Raypak, which I think is going to be a major factor in my decision. I'm looking for some advice from the gas utility experts (see sketch attached).

Option A: Place the pool equipment at point "A" This results in longer plumbing runs from the pool relative to the second option but a much more convenient location relative to gas. However, it is also right next to a deck, so aesthetics and noise are a concern. Not to mention that there is only one space available in my main electrical panel.

Option B: Place the pool equipment at point "B". This is more favorable for many reasons: shorter plumbing runs to the pool, lots of available space in the electrical panel and equipment can be hidden out of sight and make use of an existing concrete slab thats also covered. The problem is how to handle the gas line. Here's where it gets interesting; there is an existing 1" gas line already plumbed to the garage which is tapped from a branch in the main house supply, but I'm pretty sure this is inadequate given the length of the pipe and demands of 400k BTU. So, the most obvious (but perhaps expensive) solution is to run a new gas line to this location. BUT, what I think might be possible (this is where I need to be set straight) is if I can have my meter upgraded to higher pressure and modify the supply line inside of the house that feeds the existing gas line to the garage so that its isolated from the rest of the house supply (basically make the supply to garage it's own line all the way to the meter). Then of course I would need to down regulate the house to whatever it needs (7" wc?), and then down regulate the heater supply line at the point of use. I'm pretty sure I will already need to upgrade my meter no mater what (see second image)

Man, I hope that's not too confusing. Anyway, is my plan reasonable, feasible? Any disadvantages? Thanks!

Gas Line Sketch.jpg
Gas Plate.jpg

Thanks Dave, I agree! I just want to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking or unaware of that I should be factoring into my decision. If I had to run a new line, what size line should I run...1-1/2", 2"? I keep getting conflicting information from tables I find published on the internet.

When I had my pool remodel, I had two choices. A) leave the equipment where it is. The equipment would have taken up valuable deck space and been seeable. B) move the equipment to the side of the house where it's hidden. However, the pipe run would be much longer, thus a increase in cost and also increase in electricity to run the pump.

I went with option B. I am so glad that I picked option B. Yes - it cost more, but I think I would have second guess my decision if I went with A. I love having the extra space on my deck and also not seeing my pool equipment.

So after playing phone tag for the last two weeks with the gas company, I FINALLY spoke with someone today regarding my pricing and options. Unlike a lot of lucky individuals on the forum, it is going to cost me $300 to have my meter upgraded to handle the pool heater. Not only that, but they also will not allow me to bump up my pressure for the purpose of utilizing the existing "undersized" gas line. So I'm stuck installing a new gas line, which will probably be at least $1k just for materials. There is the option of installing a second meter at the pool heater, but I think they said that will cost about $1500, which might be worth it!

So after playing phone tag for the last two weeks with the gas company, I FINALLY spoke with someone today regarding my pricing and options. Unlike a lot of lucky individuals on the forum, it is going to cost me $300 to have my meter upgraded to handle the pool heater. Not only that, but they also will not allow me to bump up my pressure for the purpose of utilizing the existing "undersized" gas line. So I'm stuck installing a new gas line, which will probably be at least $1k just for materials. There is the option of installing a second meter at the pool heater, but I think they said that will cost about $1500, which might be worth it!

this is what i did at my last house. existing meter was completely wrong side of house and eqpt pad was close to main gas utility line. gas company tapped into main line, ran new pipe to location marked by me next to pad and installed a new (2nd) gas meter. they did this for $350. I then received 2 gas bills each month.

keep in mind that the gas company will be selling you more gas, its in their best interest to facilitate that!

I ran the line from gas meter to 400BTU heater myself, $100 worth of 3/4" galv. pipe, fittings and shut-off valve from lowes/HD. measured everything, dug a hole, assembled the piping myself and placed it in the hole. hooked up to the meter/heater and was good to go.

Actually, I found a pic of my gas hook-up.

looks like I actually gotten the dimensions of the new meter and placed the line from meter to heater in there before the meter was installed.

New utility line is to the left with the yellow cap, my 3/4 line if to the right with the orange cap....

25hjxg3.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Never, ever, ever use galvanized pipe for gas. Black pipe or flex made for gas but never galvanized.

Several building codes now permit the use of galvanized pipe for gas lines. I know that was a big issue in the past but I believe the galvanic process the pipe undergoes has changed and the issues with flaking are no longer a concern. This information is from the 2013 edition of the CPC section 1208.5.2.2. Perhaps its allowed in Texas as well.

I know for a fact that galvanized pipe is accepted in my area but not for underground applications. I wouldn't want any sort of metal pipe underground anyway.

Every piece of pipe above ground that the gas company uses is galvanized in my area.

I would avoid flex on an appliance with a gas demand that a pool heater has. It can be very restrictive.

Unfortunately, you don't have any bargaining chips, their concerns are of a much different sort than selling to them a minuscule volume of gas. Maybe you can call again, but it is very common for service pressure not to be increased for what they determine "convenience." Not that i agree, i certainly feel your pain. More bad news, there may be a "rental fee" on the second meter since it would be used seasonally. You should ask about that as it could change the decision on the second meter vs. upsizing a new feed.

I have found when asking these sorts of questions it is often luck of the draw on who answers the phone, it also often helps if you can get someone from the gas company to come out and look at the site.

So this gas line situation has me considering alternative options, namely solar. For some reason I never gave it any serious consideration because I didn't think I would be satisfied with the performance, but this gas line situation has motivated me to give it a hard look and I think solar might actually be a perfect option for me. I happen to have an 800sqft, south facing garage roof with a relatively steep slope that receives sun from sunrise to nearly sunset. I can load that baby up with as many panels as my budget will allow and get theoretically equal if not better BTU's as a gas heater. And worse case, I can supplement the solar system with either a heat pump or smaller gas unit in the future if I needed to. The more I learn and think about it, the more convinced I am this is the way to go! By the way, that back corner is the planned location of the pool equipment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 66
If agree on the solar, practically a perfect arrangement. And it will cover up your mismatched shingles. [emoji41]. That and I'm jealous of your awesome garage.

Ha ha, yeah those shingles annoy me. The previous owner installed some cheap sky lights that were meant for a flat roof and didn't even flash around them. Consequently they leaked like a sieve, so I ripped them out about a year after we bought the house (been here about 8 yrs) and roofed over them. Then we had a bad windstorm right before this spring that ripped off a few courses of shingles. I do love the garage though, it was actually a big factor in purchasing the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.