Is a stronger punp my only hope? Dust settling on pool floor...

sh9730

Apr 17, 2016
Casa Grande, AZ
Hi,

Ok - so a month into this pool thing and thanks to many here things are going pretty well. Replacement pavers holding up - screen/fencing going up soon - got some use - we don't have kids still at home so it wont be an everyday thing for us...and the temps are just now (very late!) starting to hit the 100 mark which is where relief becomes really needed...

EXCEPT - as I mentioned it has been an unusually mild May for us - and WINDY! We have covered the pool when the stretches of wind were known in advance - but I am not going to keep taking it on and off as where we are (between Phoenix and Tucson) we are subject to wind and dust at almost any time. Something we just have to live with.

SO - my water has stayed almost crystal clear all month thanks to everyone here and the pool calculator. But, with the wind etc. keeping the dust out is impossible. As I said the water itself is clear as can be -- but I am spending too much time brushing the walls and bottom to get the fine layer of dust to mix with the water and through the pump - and even then I can't get it all and I end up with a 2x2 foot spot of brown on the pool floor under the outlets to the pump - PIA!

As I have mentioned in other posts I have the small 1200 GPH pump that came with the pool and am trying to wait and see if the extra couple hundred bucks is really worth it (combining our usage vs. how effective is the current pump). I have been running it just 6 hours a day to cycle the 5K gallons once - and as I said - the water itself is GREAT! Just this dust. We don't have a major problem with leaves/twigs etc...only the dust (and dead bugs which I am sure everyone has! Today I am running it extra to see if it makes any difference - I am only at 8 hours so I can't tell yet.

SO - questions:

1. Is there a guarantee that upgrading the pump will solve this anyway? If so, how big do I need to go? One benefit of upgrading a pump is I can get an auto cleaner which will help with the bigger stuff on the floor - but obviously wont get the walls and likely wouldn't get the dust on the floor even if the pump itself doesn't work.

2. Is there another solution I am overlooking?

Thanks!

Thanks Casey - problem is from what i have read - the 1200 GPH won't run any of the robots - even Intex when I called said theirs needs 1500 GPH - SOOO dumb for them to sell an inadequate pump - but then again maybe they are being smart knowing so many will want to upgrade....

I am so sorry, I got your pool confused with another post and they had an in ground pool and filter.. maybe too many posts today, been a little busy

That pump and filter is your problem, they are really just to small...

The big sand filter is much better suited for what you need

Amazon.com : Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 3000 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

and then you can use the intex robot cleaner :)
Amazon.com : Intex Auto Pool Cleaner : Swimming Pool Suction Cleaners : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks again Cowboy - I figured that was the case - but the other question is if I bite the bullet is 3K really what I need? I know its only 50 bucks more - but that pays for the robot if I get the 2100 version! But OTOH if the 2100 won't do the job I don't want to go through this again!

you know it may work but I am with you, if it does not work good for you then you're back in the same situation...

SO I split the difference and went with the 2800 GPH version and the Intex Robot. I guess the smart thing to do would be to keep the 1200 GPH pump for an emergency back up, right?

Also, anything I need to know about switching these out? No draining or anything right? Just close the hoses and switch them to the new pump?

I think the so, but I am not positive as I have never used them, matter of fact I still have the filter and pump sitting in my garage still in the the box...

And I think that is a great way to do it :) the 2800 should work great :)

JMC - no - haven't even read about it - as I said - I have decided to get a better pump and it is on the way - if nothing else it will provide me with the power to run the robot. Will what you are mentioning help with the heavier dust particles?

My water itself is crystal clear - until I brush the walls of course - then cloudy until that water gets cycled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.