Is it leaking? What is this hole? Bad pump?

bild

May 30, 2016
Orlando
This is my first pool. My only experience with pools is swimming in them. I have a few questions.
The water seems to be going down quickly (1 inch in a week - a few days). I searched about evaporation and it surprised me how much evaporates. But im still not sure. I guess ill do a bucket test. I've only been here a month and ive already added an inch or two, and it rained pretty heavily and added another 1-1.5". Now a week later it seems to be below the level I got it up to with the hose. Its been pretty hot during the day (90-95). The solar heating has been keeping the pool around 85 degrees and there are two small jets. But its florida, its very humid.

Second. What is this hole? Non of the valves turn it on or off. Its on the top step. Is parasol holder??
BsF1cLY

Third. My pump sight glass is never full. It seems like it was when i moved in a month ago but not now. I greased the o-ring (per the pinch-a-penny guys instructions). Is the pump bad? I keep the filter clean.
R7BiOnW

Forth. I can not feel any suction from the main pool drain. Is that normal?
Mycrzoe
NftnT1W

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160530_182714.jpg
    20160530_182714.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 82
You can easily lose 2-3" per week in the heat of the summer. So what you are seeing is reasonable.

Second. What is this hole? Non of the valves turn it on or off. Its on the top step. Is parasol holder??
Yes it could be an umbrella sleeve.

Forth. I can not feel any suction from the main pool drain. Is that normal?
Yes. You never want to "feel" suction from a MD otherwise it could be an entrapment hazard.

Hi, welcome to TFP! When the filter is in "filter" mode the sight glass will not be full of water, in fact it is normal for it to be empty while in filter mode. This is because in filter mode the multiport valve does not channel water as far up as the sight glass and over time any water left over from backwashing and rinsing evaporates or drains away. As long as the sight glass fills up during backwashing and rinsing it is working fine.

The bucket test will tell you if the problem is evaporation or a leak, however losing an inch a week in 90+ degrees is not bad.

As far as the opening in your step, it looks like it could be for an umbrella. If it is smooth inside that is almost certainly what it is. If it is threaded it may have been for a bubbler, but honestly the placement and the fact that there is only one tells me it for an umbrella.

Your main drain should be controlled by a valve. The suction should not be so strong that you feel it pulling on your hands or feet. That could lead to a dangerous entrapment situation. If the main drain has a VGB compliant drain cover you should not feel suction. Those drain covers are designed to prevent entrapment. Do you have just one main drain or are there two spaced about 6 feet apart?

As mentioned above it looks like it is for an umbrella. We have one on our Baja seating area. Ours has a cap that we have on when not in use. Just look in the hole and see if it is closed off about 6 inches down. If it is then it is confirmed for an umbrella.

Hi, welcome to TFP! When the filter is in "filter" mode the sight glass will not be full of water, in fact it is normal for it to be empty while in filter mode. This is because in filter mode the multiport valve does not channel water as far up as the sight glass and over time any water left over from backwashing and rinsing evaporates or drains away. As long as the sight glass fills up during backwashing and rinsing it is working fine.

I dont think i have what you are referring to. im talking about the clear part on top of the pump were the debris catcher is. It cant be empty. Water wouldn't be flowing if the pump was empty. My question is, since it doesn't fill completely up is the o-ring failing or the pump? Or something else? I attached a link of it: http://imgur.com/R7BiOnW

If there is air in the pump basket, you have an air leak. The pump basket or drain plug gaskets are likely sources. Try pool lube to help seal them.

Does the ever prime?

What is the filter pressure?

If there is air in the pump basket, you have an air leak. The pump basket or drain plug gaskets are likely sources. Try pool lube to help seal them.

Does the ever prime?

What is the filter pressure?

I lubed the cap (with the clear part) on the pump basket. I didn't take the o-ring out, however, i just smeared it on the exposed part. Is that good enough?

Im not sure if there is a typo (ever prime). But the pump does prime. Its self priming. It takes it a few seconds to get going but then it pumps fine. But the water level in the pump basket is probably and inch or two from full.

Filter pressure is about 17psi.

Is the drain plug the main drain in the pool?

I lubed the cap (with the clear part) on the pump basket. I didn't take the o-ring out, however, i just smeared it on the exposed part. Is that good enough?
Yes

Is the drain plug the main drain in the pool?
No the drain plug is at the bottom of the pump basket.

It sounds like a minor air leak and if those two things don't fix it could be further up the suction pipe. Also, 1 or 2 inches is not huge issue although if it were me, I would try and fix it.

I dont think i have what you are referring to. im talking about the clear part on top of the pump were the debris catcher is. It cant be empty. Water wouldn't be flowing if the pump was empty. My question is, since it doesn't fill completely up is the o-ring failing or the pump? Or something else? I attached a link of it: http://imgur.com/R7BiOnW

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. The sight glass refers to a part on a sand filter and sometimes new members interchange the terms pump and filter when talking about their equipment. As mas985 said you probably have an air leak. He has already told you some of the things to check first. Also check the water level in the pool and make sure it is at least 1/2 way up the skimmer. If you see a vortex in the skimmer when the pump is running then you need to raise the water level in the pool. The vortex will suck air into the plumbing system. If the water level is good and gaskets and rings are well lube and in good condition the next thing to check would be the plumbing joints between the pump and the pool. You can check for an air leak by putting a dab of shaving cream around each pipe joint while the pump is running. Do each joint one at a time and watch for the shaving cream to be sucked into the joint. If you see the shaving cream being sucked in then that is an air leak that can accumulate in the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.