New pool owner

May 16, 2009
I bought a house this past winter and it came with an above ground pool. I see a Hayward DE filter and a Lomart Spectra 3 sand filter. There are no instructions on how to connect the 2.

Where or who should I call? Help!!!!! :shock:

Welcome to TFP!

You have two filters there and your pool should only need one of them. I would hazard a guess that the DE filter is probably the newer of the two.

Would you be able to post a picture of your setup there with the pipes, pump, and other stuff? That would help us to know what is what and allow us to be able to direct you from there.

Some people use a sand filter as a pre-filter for a DE filter. The sand catches most of the junk and is easy to clean, while the DE filter catches the very fine particles that get through the sand. This setup reduces your flow rate a bit, but it gives you the advantages of a DE filter while cutting down on how often you need to clean the DE filter dramatically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sand filter appears to have a multi-position main valve on the top. Water will come out of the waste pipe only when you are backwashing the filter. You want to run a hose from the waste connection to somewhere that the water can be disposed of. Some people just discharge it on their lawn to water the lawn, some people like to run it to the sewer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.