Nitrate Problem

May 30, 2016
Blandon, PA
Hello all. I'm new to TFP, so please bare with me. We have a 15x30 (approx 13,500 gallons) above ground pool, vinyl liner. We have only had it for two years, so I'm VERY new to this and truthfully don't know a lot.

We uncovered it for the year, and it was very green. I added 4lbs of shock yesterday, and brushed the pool. I went and tested the pool today and my chlorine was at ZERO. I was confused, so I took a sample to the pool store to confirm. Here are the results they gave me:

FAC: .5
TAC: .5
CH: 280
CYA: 0
TA: 100
pH: 7

But.....they told me my Nitrates are 200!! They said they've never seen a result that high. So their advice, drain and refill. Well, that SOUNDS good in theory, but then they told me to be worried about the liner drying out and shrinking so I have to have it filled pretty much instantly - no one does water delivery near me that I've found.

But then Google led me here, and I'm wondering if so have to empty and refill for Nitrates?

Like I said I am a totally newbie when it comes to pool ownership, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help. Thank you so much!!! :)

Two things consume chlorine: sunlight and organics.

Organics is the green stuff in your water
You have no CYA to speak of, so sunlight got the rest.

What you need is a whole lot of bleach to get ahead of the algae growth and kill it, and some CYA to protect the bleach from the sun so it can do its job killing algae.

Nitrates will feed algae, to be sure. But if there's no algae to eat it, who cares? The proper FC/CYA ratio will ensure that. Take a few minutes to read through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry so you understand our strange language.

If you use the search box for Nitrates, you'll find 582 threads. Pretty much all of them say Nitrates are immaterial.

What you need is a SLAM Process. And to do that, you need a proper test kit.

Welcome to TFP

Nitrates are really not a problem in a properly chlorinated pool. You said you have your own test kit? Is it by chance a Taylor k2006 or TF-100?

We reccomend testing and balencing your own water and staying away from the pool store testing. Their free water testing is worth what you pay for it.

To clear up a green pool you need to SLAM- Shock Level And Maintain. If you want to take over your pool there will be many people here to help you but you will need one of the test kits I mentioned. Have you had a chance to browse pool school? Some links below are good to start with and you can decide if you want to go the tfp route or continue trusting the pool store. Mixing their advice with ours will likely leave you confused and spending more unnessary $$$.

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Test Kits Compared
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

No, I just have a basic kit. I will purchase the correct kit I need to do the SLAM method to the pool. Does anyone know if they're sold in stores? It seems I may have to order one offline. They're telling me at the pool store that the nitrates are what is "eating" up all the chlorine. Is that true?

Trust me, I'd rather follow the TFP guide to help me clear this up, honestly sometimes I think they're just trying to sell products without even knowing sometimes.

Your hunch is correct. Spend the money for a good test kit up front (the link in my signature). We don't sell snake oil or any other miracle products. We are willing to help you learn what your pool needs.

I'm not sure the pool stores are being intentionally deceptive.......I think they often just don't know.

So, I ordered the Taylor k-2006 kit as you guys suggested. It will be delivered tomorrow. As we know from the pool store reading (though I'll retest in my own) my CYA was 0. I did not add any stabilizer yet. I read the SLAM method, but I guess my first step is to add stabilizer? I have a 13,500 gallon pool. How much stabilizer should I add so it doesn't spike too high? How much liquid chlorine should I have on hand to start the SLAM process? When can I start SLAM after adding stabilizer? I'm sorry I'm so pool stupid, you guys are an amazing wealth of information.

Please use PoolMath to determine what and how much of each chemical to add.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

I could tell you, but I would rather help you learn how to use the calculator so you can fly on your own.

It is impossible to know how much bleach to tell you to have on hand unfortunately. A SLAM can take a few days or a few weeks.

You can start the SLAM immediately after adding the stabilizer. Please post your pool details in your sig line, I have no idea what kind of pool you have (vinyl, fiberglass, plaster)

I appreciate your help and showing me the calculator. You're right, I would like to learn how to do it on my own, so I will calculate what to add there. Is there a specific order I follow when adding chemicals before starting the SLAM process? The pool store said (and my "old" at home kit) that my pH is low (again will check to tomorrow when the new kit arrives). But, is there an order I correct these things in? I need to raise the pH, raise my CYA, and begin the slamming process.

REALLY stupid question here.....like a sock sock? Or something thinner like panty hose? Cheesecloth fabric? It seems like it will be a decent amount of stabilizer I'm going to need. In the past I've dissolved it while stirring a bucket for.....hours. So this would be MUCH easier! Thank you again! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
REALLY stupid question here.....like a sock sock? Or something thinner like panty hose? Cheesecloth fabric? It seems like it will be a decent amount of stabilizer I'm going to need. In the past I've dissolved it while stirring a bucket for.....hours. So this would be MUCH easier! Thank you again! :D
Yes to all of the above. Just so long as it has no holes. If it won't all fit in one, use two, and suspend the other one in front of a return.

I recently swiped some knee highs from my wife because I couldn't jam enough CYA in the tube socks I stole from my kids. The knee highs work better! Holds more and dissolves faster!

So, the kit is here, got the chemicals, and am ready to go.

Question, before I start.....

The calculator gives me the ounces to use if I'm using 6% bleach. I got 5 gallon buckets of liquid chlorine. Is the measurements the same?
Change the percentage in poolmath to match the strength of what you have. Liquid chlorine, liquid shock, bleach, pool chlorine, it's all the same chemical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.