Another newbie that needs help!!

May 30, 2016
Reeseville
I recently just put up an Intex 15' x 48" pool for the kiddos. I filled it with my tap water and having a hard time getting it clear now although it started out clear. I probably should have come here first. I added about 5 1" chlorine tabs to a floating dispenser to start and now the pool is green and cloudy. Ph was high so I added Ph down to fix that. I added about 30oz. of liquid shock (12.5%) and 8 oz of Clorox Algaecide today and then tested the pool about 3 hours later
with the HPH 6 way tested and came up with the following readings:
Ch Br: 5 10
Ph: 7.2
TA: 22
Hardness: ??? (Couldn't get test to function properly...water wouldn't turn red)
CYA: Basically 0. Filled the whole tube and could still see the black dot fine.

I need help!! How to I clear this thing up?? I just ordered an Intex 2800 sand filter pump to replace the junk 1000 gallon cartridge filter it came with. Do I need to add more shock?? I'm guessing the green is algae, correct??
Thank you in advance to you all!!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: First thing I have to say ... add nothing else to your water other than regular liquid bleach. Absolutely no more store chemicals like algaecides that add metal to your water. You need a proper test kit. See the TF-100 test kit below in my sig. The HTH is fine for pH, and maybe some TA and CH levels, but beyond that it get dicey, and it will never test chlorine higher than 5 ppm which you need right now. So #1 priority is to get the TF-100 (XL Option with Speed Stir). Post those results and we can help.

Also, remove those pucks right away. The chlorine they provide does not matter when they add stabilizer which could be throwing-off your readings. Read the SLAM page (link below) and Pool School while you wait for the proper test kit to arrive. Post those numbers and we can help. Nice you have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.