Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is PoolMath 'stabilizer' CYA or trichlor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Is PoolMath 'stabilizer' CYA or trichlor?

In the PoolMath CYA section, to go from 0 to 40 it says "Add 64 oz (4#) by weight or 67 oz by volume of stabilizer"

Is that pure CYA, dichlor, or trichlor? The reason I ask is I just emptied and refilled to lower my CYA, added about 2-3# of CYA to a ~12,000 gal pool, and the CYA level now reads ~50 (dipstrips) so I have a higher CYA than I expected.

Trichlor only contains about half CYA by weight, but pure CYA is pure CYA.
    What is the PoolMath calculator based on?

Thanks for running a great forum!
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is PoolMath 'stabilizer' CYA or trichlor?

That much CYa in any form. That's kinda like saying you can have 3 ounces of alcohol per day. Whether you choose to drink PGA, beer, wine or whatever------only difference is the ALCOHOL content by volume.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It is based on CYA sold as stabilizer. Trichlor and dichlor do add CYA. Play with the part at the bottom of pool math where you can calculate the effects of adding different chemicals. That can help you determine how much CYA to stabilized chlorine products will add.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

4. Back To Top    #4

That's pure granular CYA.

If you intend to use Trichlor, scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals in poolmath and see what 16 oz of Trichlor will do to your pool (Set the volume first) Then work off that to figure out how much you need. Remember Trichlor is very acidic.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all! I have pure granular CYA.

Suggestion for the forum- Add a chemical levels default to the entry screen, or make it one of the formatting tools to paste into the post:
    FC
    TC
    CC
    Temp
    CYA
    pH
    TA

CH
    Borate
    Water Clarity

So newbies will remember to post their #'s!
    FC 3
    TC
    CC
    Temp
    CYA
    pH
    TA
    CH 220
    Borate
    38 (calc)
    Water Clarity
    Crystal w sl surface debris

I have 25# CaCl on order.

12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.