Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Super Pump help

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Super Pump help

I got an in-ground pool back in 2011. I have a 2 speed Hayward Superpump sp1610z2msc. It runs 9 hrs day on my timer. Pool is open from mid may to beginning of September. When I opened the pool this year, I noticed the pump is making a high pitched buzzing noise when running on high speed. Its not very loud but its a new noise the pump has never made before. The pump is outside all year long and get the full brunt of weather - Snow, Ice, rain etc...

Should I disconnect the pump and replace the bearings (assuming that's the cause of the noise?) Should I get a new pump? Is this normal as pumps wear, that they get noisier when they age. Water pressure has been fine, and I am meticulous about cleaning my DE filter to maintain the correct pressure.

Should I have been doing maintenance on the pump in the winter? I've never removed it from the system to do anything to it. Its just been running perfect up until this year.

Thoughts?
    14k IG Fiberglass 1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed. DE3620 filter (Aquaperl filter medium)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Super Pump help

Yea it sounds like the bearings are going. If you feel you are capable and have a bearing puller and press, you can replace the bearings. You can also replace the motor or the entire pump. Personally, I would probably go the motor replacement route because wet ends usually last for a long time. Replacing bearings requires special tools and if not done correctly could end up failing shortly anyway. But you may be willing to do it.

As for prevention, the best thing to do is be aware of any water under the pump. That usually means the seal is leaking and that means water makes it's way to the bearings which then rust and fail.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I did some quick research on a new pump. My old pump is a Hayward dual speed. 1.5 - 1.25 hp Service Factor 1. Rated for 8 Amps. Form 56J
    I found the following as a direct replacement STS1152R The specs are all identical to mine except its rated for 9 Amps. Will that be ok? I could go a lot cheaper and just get a single speed pump UST1152. Its half the price of the dual speed, but I really like the dual speed mode. I use it a lot. Thoughts?

I plan to rebuilt the old motor once I pull it out and put new bearings in it . Is it worth it to rebuild the motors? It seems the bearings are pretty cheap.
    14k IG Fiberglass 1.5 hp Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed. DE3620 filter (Aquaperl filter medium)

4. Back To Top    #4

I am confused as to what this means "1.5 - 1.25 hp Service Factor 1". What is the label HP and what is the SF?

A 1.5 HP SuperPump should have a label HP of 1.5 and SF of 1 which has a THP of 1.5. The replacement motor in a two speed would be a STS1102R.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

The main label on the pump lists the HP as 1.5-1.25. There is another sticker on the pump which states HP as 1.5. The documentation for the pump states 1.5 hp OR 1.25 hp (ain't that confusing). The service factor is listed as 1. The form factor is 56J. Isn't the STS1102R a 56C?

6. Back To Top    #6

The STS1102RV1 is a 56J frame. Century A.O. Smith STS1102RV1 56J C-Flange 1 or 1/8 HP Dual Speed Full Rated Pool Filter Motor, 7.0/2.3A 230V

But either way the 1102 should would work just fine. There is no reason to go bigger.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Bearings are easily replaced by a motor repair shop. The local motor repair shop charged me $50 for new bearings, installed.
    18' X 36' X 4.5' vinyl oval in-ground 17K gallons, 250K BTU Pentair Master Temp NG heater, 1HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S200 sand filter, Hayward Pool Vac, Extreme mesh safety cover, TF-100 test kit.