Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5" pvc

1. Back To Top    #1

intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5" pvc

Hello folks - I want hard plumb my intex 18' round x 52" AGP and use 1.5" pvc. I just upgraded to an intex 3,000 gph intex pump/sand filter. It appears that a standard 2" pvc female threaded to slip fitting will screw right onto the "out" port on the intex pump (see pics attached). I'm guessing the male threads of the pump and female threads of the 2" fitting would need a heavy dose of rector seal pipe sealant.

This fitting could then be followed by a 2" to 1.5" slip reducer and I'm off and running.

Is there any reason why the above approach wouldn't work? It seems like most folks are using the electrical box connector and threaded intex ring connection for this mod.
    intex1.jpgintex2.jpg
    Any and all thoughts appreciated; want to get this right the first time.

Thanks,
    Greg
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    1600 gph intex pump w 14" sand filter
    Hayward skimmer mod

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex hard plumb - pump to 1.5" pvc

Quote Originally Posted by GregN View Post
    Hello folks - I want hard plumb my intex 18' round x 52" AGP and use 1.5" pvc.
    Why?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I learned from an expert here you use pipe glue exactly like you have there it should work no problem at all...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Why?
    Well, for the same reason everyone else does: to get rid of the intex small diameter supply/return lines and the flow restricting plunger valves. A hard plumbed pool combined with the Hayward skimmer I installed last summer should allow for better water circulation and cleaner, easier to maintain pool IMO. I also plan on adding a second return about a foot off the bottom (my Intex only has one), and I might convert the existing intake to a vac port, and maybe even add a sprinkler. None of the above is required, but these mods may allow me to enjoy my pool a bit more.

- Greg
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Greg, I used 2 returns and 2 suction side, 1 skimmer and 1 dedicated pool cleaner port
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

6. Back To Top    #6

CowboyCasey - thanks for the info. That sounds pretty close to what I want to do. By any chance, do you have an pics to share? I'm always looking to steal good ideas!

Greg
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for sharing the pics....appreciated.
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for all of the info guys this is awesome... I'm installing my first AGP this week and the info is great.... Cowboycasey.. I notice you installed you skimmer on or above the thread line for the pool liner... did you recently install it or have you had it in for awhile? Most of what have read about the skimmer install is to keep it below the thread line of the liner which you obviously loose a couple inches of water... your thoughts..

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I put it right before the line and the screws go through the white piece, we have 1 person that went above that line.. I did the install when no water was in the pool also

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Casper..I installed mine above the seam. With the water level 2" below top of skimmer, my water level in pool is just below first row of blue blocks. I would slow u pics but my pool isn't up yet. Try a search for Heyward above seam or weld.
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

12. Back To Top    #12

Cowboy, do the Hayward fittings fit in the intex holes or are they too small and you had to cut new holes for them?
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

I had to cut new holes for those fitting, well I guess you can say cut, I used a radio shack soldering iron

14. Back To Top    #14

Why did you use soldering iron? Much easier to get a nice cut with exacto knife/razor blade.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I read that later and actually did that with my skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

Thank you greg and cowboycase... that brings up another question... I was told that the pool should be filled for at least a month before installing the skimmer so the liner can stretch. Does it really matter how long the pool in filled before installing?

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I filled mine the day after I put the skimmer in, no issues at all, been filled with water over a year now

18. Back To Top    #18

A month seems like overkill to me. I would think that a few days would be fine, especially if air temps are above 75. I would think that the vinyl would expand from heat, and the "force" of water in the pool, and reach equilibrium in just a couple of days. Obviously, the above are just my personal notions about vinyl pools. Maybe others will chime in to confirm or have other ideas.

Good luck,
    Greg
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks guys... got the pool set up yesterday and filled to the inlet holes... swg and sand filter will be installed along with the skimmer today... any expanding will be done after sitting in our warm southern California whether today

- - - Updated - - -

I just need to figure out the plumbing part... I want to hard plumb everything and include a couple ball valves

20. Back To Top    #20

FYI - I just ordered some ball valves, unions, and a length of flex pvc from this place. Much cheaper than the big box stores in my area.
    http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/
    Intex 18 x 52 ultraframe
    Hayward skimmer mod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast