Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Water testing

Ok I just installed my new agp and ran my first water tests. The first results were as follows.

FC - 0
    PH - 6.8
    TA - 140
    CH - 25
    CYA- 0

I put all the numbers in pool math with the recommended levels as target. I put all the chemicals in the pool this morning and just tested again.

FC - 0
    PH - 8.2
    TA- 170
    CH- 175
    CYA- 0

what am I doing wrong? I used 8% clorox bleach and used almost half of the bottle as requested by pool math. Clearly I am not doing something right. Please help a new pool owner in the right direction.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    23" Hayward Sand Filter S230T, 1.5HP Matrix Pump
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Water testing

Welcome

What chemicals did you add? You're showing no CYA. Without that your chlorine could have been quickly oxidized by the sun during the day. Would you tell us what all you put in? I see your CH went up and with a vinyl pool you really don't need to worry much about your CH.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Have you added any CYA (AKA stabilizer) to the pool? Without it the sun will consume all your chlorine. You want to use pool math to determine how much to bring the CYA up to around 30. But be careful. CYA can only be reduced by draining, so you do not want to overshoot your target level. And looking at the fact that your pH level went from too low to too high (6.8 to 8.2) using pool math, I suspect you are overestimating the volume of the pool.

Once you add CYA (using the sock in the skimmer method) it won't show up in tests for about a week, but proceed assuming it's there.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Good job jumping in there and taking care of your pool!

For the TA test be sure to wipe the tip between drops and hold the bottle vertically and let the drops fully form. TA only goes up if you add baking soda. Did you? Or test error/variance.

Adding CYA in a sock will take a couple of days to dissolve and will show up on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved.

+1 to chlorine getting used up fast with no CYA, needs to be adjusted at least once per day.

And PH should be 7.2 to 7.8 at all times, with 7.6 to 7.8 being ideal.

More here on chemicals, what they do and how to add them to your pool. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Are you using these, Pool School - Recommended Levels?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I added 1.5lbs of stabilizer, 130oz of borax, 10lbs of calcium hardness and roughly 65oz of concentrated clorox bleach
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I wasn't fully sure what I needed to be testing for that truly mattered for my pool so figured I would test everything. I'd there is something I can stop testing that I currently am please let me know. Like I said this is my first pool and have no clue what I am doing except for what I have read from this site.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

It's all good. Many of us knew nothing about pool chemistry when we found this site. You're a step ahead maybe by already having the proper test kit and using pool math.

Your chlorine went away because you have no stabilizer. I see you did add that. How did you add it? We usually reccomend putting it in an old tube sock and suspending in front of a return. It can take several days to a week for the stabilizer to dissolve and register on a test. Squeeze the sock when you're walking by it. If you didn't do this and dumped it in the pool, the granules will sit on the bottom of the pool which isn't good for your liner.......not the end of the world but brushing is in order in that case. Lots of brushing around.

It looks like you overshot your PH and that will need correcting with some muratic acid. Are you confident with your pool volume calculation? That may be the reason for the higher than expected PH increase.

I'd say for now, please keep sharing all of your numbers but wait a bit to test for CYA again depending on how you added it.

8. Back To Top    #8

I poured 1.5lbs of stabilizer in an old sock and put it in the skimmer basket. I calculated around 14k gallon pool capacity. 24ft by 54 inches high.

- - - Updated - - -

Should I add more bleach? If so how much?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

putting the sock in the skimmer is fine as long as you're running your pump. I'd add more bleach to bring you to a minimum level for the CYA you were targeting. I can tell you from experience that squeezing the sock of CYA and moving it around will help get it dissolved. I actually tie and hang mine from a pool noodle. And mess with it to agitate it to help dissolve.

10. Back To Top    #10

Should I just add the rest of the Bottle of bleach?

- - - Updated - - -

The 1.5lb of stabilizer in the sock has dissolved
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Chlorine level is set based in CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep FC at target or slightly higher at all times to ensure that FC never drops below minimum. If FC drops below minimum then your pool is unsanitary and algae can grow.

Use Poolmath to calculate how much bleach should be added to raise FC to target level. This is also a good time to verify your pool volume if FC rises the expected amount then the gallons is correct. If it rises more than expected then lower the gallons or if it raises less than expected then increase the gallons.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

So... if I have a CYA of 0 I need to get my CYA up before I add any bleach?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Is there a brand or type of stabilizer that is preferred or better than others?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I buy the stabilizer at Walmart. It should be fine. It just takes a while to dissolve and register on a test.

Yes to your chlorine question. Bring it up to target for your CYA. Test chlorine again in am.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by hicksb15 View Post
    So... if I have a CYA of 0 I need to get my CYA up before I add any bleach?
    No, chlorine is required in all pools at all times. If CYA is 20 or less then use the 20 numbers.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I have poured an entire bottle of bleach and still show zero chlorine in my pool. How can I get the Chlorine to show up if my CYA is not showing up yet? I am needing to put an additional 2lbs of stabilizer in my pool. The 1.5 was all i had at the time.
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Add more bleach
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok just wanted to make sure that was Ok to do and not going to hurt anything. Thanks!
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, keep adding with the pump running and test again in 10 minutes or so until it shows up on the test.
    TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok here are my latest numbers. I think they look pretty good.

FC - 4
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 130
    CH - 200
    CYA - 40

I know I need to check Chlorine and PH everyday with the simple Basic taylor that came in the kit. How often do I need to test the other stuff?
    24'x52" Quest Round AGP
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast