Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bottom drain while slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Bottom drain while slamming

Helping a friend with their swamp and he asked if he is supposed to do anything to the drain at the bottom of the pool? Also his ph was 6.8 . Do we keep slamming or should we get ph up?

24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Bottom drain while slamming

The bottom drain should help with circulation during slam. On the PH......did you adjust to 7.2 before going to SLAM chlorine level?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

We did not adjust ph. FC was at 3.0 pool store told him to just vacume and not add any chemicals.... So I told him he needed to raise FC to 15 & keep scrubbing.

24,000 gallon, 21x43 Oval Wilbur AGP installed June 2015. 10'X24' deck. 2hp Aqua Pro Cartridge Filter. Using TFP method.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd leave it open. With any luck, when you brush, the stuff will find its way there and get whisked off to be filtered away.

The pH should be higher. Low pH can be hard on plaster and metal components, especially heater cores. But the pH test is no good with FC above 10, so you'll have to let FC drop some to test it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Darn! FC was at 3.0 with ph at 6.8 at first test..... I told him to start shocking. I should have raised ph. So should I stop slamming?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by lovestoswim View Post
    Darn! FC was at 3.0 with ph at 6.8 at first test..... I told him to start shocking. I should have raised ph. So should I stop slamming?

Sent from my Z959 using Tapatalk
    Actually, if you're confident of that pH, you can use it to figure it the adjustment dose now and add it. You just won't be able to retest pH for a while.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

OK thank you Richard!