Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water, possible DE in the Pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water, possible DE in the Pool.

I started to open my pool about 3 weeks ago. A few minutes after I started the pump, I noticed a huge crack in the filter casing. Could that have sent DE into the pool? The pool was a swamp at that point so I could not tell at the time.

Since then, I replaced the filter. I have been Slamming the pool for about 2 weeks now. It is blue but very cloudy. When I try brushing, I get clouds of brown coming up from the bottom. I just tried vacuuming and the pump basket was full of brown water. Is this DE?

FC: 14.5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 110
    CH: 150
    CYA: 30 (assumed, added CYA a few days ago)

I haven't tried the OCLT because it is still cloudy. We just got several inches of rain from the remnants of Bonnie which doesn't help matters.
    24' above ground pool
    Hayward Power-flo pump - 1 HP
    Hayward Perflex EC60 extended Cycle DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Cloudy Water, possible DE in the Pool.

It could be either DE or dead algae.

If you can drag the edge of your leafskimmer through a drift of it and get some stuck, you could feel it. FE will be grittier than algae. Maybe even get some off the pump strainer basket.

Whatever it is, vacuum it up and get rid of it. Even if you have to vacuum blind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!