Hey everyone Im a newbie pool owner who is way over her head :/

May 30, 2016
Abilene/Tx
HI EVERYONE as you just read I'm a new pool owner. We bought our home because we needed property, well the property included a pool which my husband and I didn't want with having little ones but we just couldn't pass up the acreage. Well I was pretty excited till my husband's job took a plummet. So we are barely staying a float and now we have a swamp in the backyard. I set up a TFP account. That was first on the list. I just measured our "kidneyish" inground plaster pool and it was 15ft wide by 30 feet long. 3ft at the shallow end and 9ft at the deep end. It also has a spa that is 8 ft round attached to it. And 3 feet deep in the center. I will get the water tested tomorrow at the local pool place. I want to use the BBB method. I know nothing about the pump just what the sticker tells me. Its a Pentair clean and Clear plus. Judging by the picture the guy at the pool store thinks it's a 420. HMMM....that's about as far as I have gotten any suggestions at this point on how to keep going????? Thanks in advance guys. I'm pretty sure this could be the death of me :/

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave: Well, let us be the first to be honest with you because you won't get it from the pool store ....... don't rely on pool store testing - especially if you're trying to save money. That's the last place you want to be. Before you do anything else or any anything to your water, I highly suggest you order a TF-100 test kit (link below). Ask for the XL Option for additional reagents and the "Speed Stir" to efficiently mix your chemicals. You may think of this as an inconvenient expense, but I guarantee you that the kit will pay for itself in accuracy and telling you specific products you need - most at your local grocery store. Do the TF-100 first then post a full set of results for us. You'll see why. Great to have you with us.

Hello Pat thank you for that tip? But I'm worried that by the time I order the test kit my water will be even worse!! My husband refilled it yesterday so It has some nice newer water??? My thought was try to gain control of the water asap??

HI! Are you saying he drained it then refilled it or he just topped it off?

While you are waiting on your test kit you can add a gal of chlorine each day. Walmart has their "pool shock" for cheap right now. It is in the pool section. This will help keep it from getting any worse.

Without "real" numbers we are flying blind and pool $tore numbers do not count :( They want to sell you stuff. We want you to smile and swim.

Kim:cat:

So what you should have a pretty, clear pool! SWEET!

I will be back in a few. I have somethings to do to help you out but I have to fix supper first. LOL Husband hates it when supper is late because of the computer!

Okay here we go!

-Play with http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html It will take some time and messing with to figure out BUT once you do you will LOVE it!

-look down at the bottom of pool math. Put in your pool size as you know it. See how many gals it says you have. We will use that for right now.

-Use pool math to find out how much CYA you need for your size pool to get it to 20 for right now.

Can you get a small test kit from Walmart? They should be under $10. We need this for the PH test

Get back with me after you have read this a couple of times. I have more for you but do not want to overwhelm you. LOL

OK I'm on it sorry it has taken me a while too same thing going at my house, dinner with a husband, 11yr, 2 yr and 4 month old is chaotic. Pool math said I have 20200 gallons of water. I see the CYA category but I don't get were to input my numbers there's 2 boxes that say 40 should I change the right box to 20?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't read the numbers in that screen shot. Post them like this.

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Not that it matters a lot, you don't really want to make any adjustments to your pool based on numbers that are probably wrong. We've seen plenty of people make their pools worse based on guess strip results.

While you wait you can add your city to your location in your profile, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.

No problems with when you do anything.......do what you can when you can.

Here is some more "homework" for you.

-put the size of your pool in you signature

-add your state to you location please

-buy the amount of CYA Pool math says you need to get you to 20

Since you have brand new water you will have 0 CYA so it is safe to add it now.

I do agree that you should wait on the other stuff until you get your test kit.

When you get your CYA you put it in a sock (yeah a sock like you wear on your feet) and put it in the skimmer with the pump running using care to not block the water flow. If you want you can squeeze it to get it in the water faster.

Welcome. How are you doing? Did you order the TF100?

Let the water mix if it's not already then grab yourself a water sample and do each of the tests noted on the TF-100 instruction card. Come back here and post them as follows:

FC
CC
CYA
pH
TA
CH

If you have any problems with one of the tests, let us know.

FC... .5
CC...0
PH...7.8 not quite red red like the 8 but close
TA...110
CH...300 or color slightly changed at 250 but much more at 300
CYA...dot never disappeared

One question I had was some things are unclear. Some colors looked purple but if I add more drops it's blue. So do I stop at a purple color or blue. Like the red color it never really got red just more hot pink?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support