Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Built-in spa vs. Pool heater settings

1. Back To Top    #1

Built-in spa vs. Pool heater settings

I'm a brand new pool owner, so maybe this is a stupid question (or maybe the setup is stupid)? I've got a pool with a little built in spa that spills over into the pool. My heater (Raypak Gas) has separate temperature settings for both the pool and for the spa, but I don't really understand how it works. I've got a pipe in and a pipe out, so I assume it heats the water and then sends it back out in the single pipe. At that point the pipe splits off into a T joint with a jandy valve and back into either the pool, the spa or both depending on where the valve is...

So how the heck does it heat each separately?
    23,000 gallons | IG vinyl | hayward pro series sand filter | hayward super pump | taylor k-2006 | built in spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Built-in spa vs. Pool heater settings

Quote Originally Posted by mikegtown View Post
    I'm a brand new pool owner, so maybe this is a stupid question (or maybe the setup is stupid)? I've got a pool with a little built in spa that spills over into the pool. My heater (Raypak Gas) has separate temperature settings for both the pool and for the spa, but I don't really understand how it works. I've got a pipe in and a pipe out, so I assume it heats the water and then sends it back out in the single pipe. At that point the pipe splits off into a T joint with a jandy valve and back into either the pool, the spa or both depending on where the valve is...

So how the heck does it heat each separately?
    It doesn't. I think those options somehow tie in with an automation system if you have one. When you switch the valves so it's all spa-in spa-out, you just use the pool setting and ignore the rest. The heater doesn't know where the water is coming from or going to.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. That's what I figured, but wasn't sure if some genius who built these fancy looking machines just knew something I didn't. I've discovered some other weird things with our pool setup, such as having a light but no actual switch for it... Seems to have to just be manually plugged in every time you use it. Why??
    23,000 gallons | IG vinyl | hayward pro series sand filter | hayward super pump | taylor k-2006 | built in spa

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mikegtown View Post
    Thanks. That's what I figured, but wasn't sure if some genius who built these fancy looking machines just knew something I didn't. I've discovered some other weird things with our pool setup, such as having a light but no actual switch for it... Seems to have to just be manually plugged in every time you use it. Why??
    Ignorance or contempt of the National Electric Code, possibly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!