Another Newbie... need diagnosis and direction after lurking for a while

May 30, 2016
Huntington, NY
Hi there. I've been reading the forums and using the TFPC method as of last Spring. The pool is several years old, but last year was the first year we moved into the house. Last year went pretty smoothly. Please see the details of the pool in the signature.

This year, I had a company open our pool. He shocked it (not sure with what) and vacuumed earlier in the week. Things were looking pretty good. Still a little cloudy as of Friday. In hopes of getting a jump start on the chlorine levels I used 2lbs of "Pool Time 4-in-1 Pool Shock Plus." This product is 58% Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione and also includes Boron sodium oxide and aluminum sulfate. My hope was to get the chlorine levels up and then continue the SLAM.

Last night, we had a huge rainfall. At least 3inches or more. Woke up to a black pool. Unfortunately, I don't have my levels from prior, but I'm done screwing around and will only follow TFPC to a tee from now on. I'm also ordering the recommend taylor kit. I've included some pictures and my current stats below:

FC 0.5
TC 0.5
ph 7.3
TA 60
CH 50
CYA 0
Salt 3100

I was surprised to see my CYA at 0, since I had it pushing 60 last year. But I'm done making assumptions too.

IMG_20160530_113635000.jpgIMG_20160530_135607616.jpg

At first I wondered if it was just dirt and possibly mulch and or dye from the mulch from all the run off from the storm. As you can see some debris collected on the cement as it leads to the steps and on the steps themselves. If so, should I just keep SLAMing? Or do I need further information to make the diagnosis? Should I be looking at algae vs metal? The pool is filled with city tap water.

I already have my FC up to 20
Should I get my alkalinity up now?
Should I get my CYA up now? I remember reading on here to be careful if CYA is really and truly zero.
Any other info is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if my signature is showing up...
Currently Leslie's Pool Total Pool Care DPD Test Kit
In-ground vinyl pool. approx 21,000 gallons
Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump
Pentair Triton II Sand Filter
Pentair MasterTemp 400 heater
SWG - IntelliChlor IC 40
Polaris Booster Pump and Pool Cleaner

If you have not ordered the Taylor kit yet I would not. With the looks of the pool you will be better off with the TF-100 XL. It has more of the regents you need for a SLAM. You will end up needing to order them if you get the Taylor kit so will spend more in the end. Look in my siggy for where to buy it from.

Do something for me. Go out and test your FC again please and let us know what it says now.

Kim:cat:

It uses Taylor regents but in bigger amounts and guaranteed fresh.

Glad to hear it is holding at 10. SO how are you getting such high numbers on your FC test if you have the drop test? I thought it only went up to 10............

Here is the SLAM link. This is what you need to do to kill what ever is in your pool. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

- - - Updated - - -

I would get enough CYA to bring your pool to 30 so it has some protection from the sun. Have you played with pool math yet? Look up at the top of this page and you will see it. Play with is some to learn it. There is a learning curve with it so don't worry. We can walk you through it if needed.

TA will be the last thing you worry with after the SLAM.

Thanks Kim. I have played with the calculator quite a bit. Luckily last year it was minor adjustments here and there. I was hoping the solution may be just to SLAM now. However, the more I read, I started worrying about metal reactions and/or algae. Started getting confused, so I started this post. I've been running to the pool store for testing and also diluting my current test with distilled water and running the ratios to test above 10. I'll continue the SLAM and will order the kit you recommended ASAP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.