Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So that's why my Stenner hose kept popping out!

1. Back To Top    #1

So that's why my Stenner hose kept popping out!

I noticed the hose popping out of my Stenner pump a couple times so I figured I should perform some maintenance. I cleaned out the internals, re-greased, replaced the pump tube, ferrules, etc.

After all that the hose still popped off so I figured it was pressure build up. Duh. So, I finally checked the injector connection.

That'll do it!!
    --22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit
    --Time Lapse Video of our Pool Build ---- Our Pool Build Thread

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So that's why my Stenner hose kept popping out!

I check my injectors every six months or so. I generally find a little.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I check my injectors every six months or so. I generally find a little.
    I definitely need to make this a part of my maintenance routine.

--22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

So is this the dreaded "white stuff" that some people with Liquidators have complained about?
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

A good reason to have a ball valve to be able to take the Stenner out of service while cleaning the injector. I will definitely be checking this.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by laprjns View Post
    So is this the dreaded "white stuff" that some people with Liquidators have complained about?
    It sure looks like it to me. When I was using my LQ, I solved the problem by getting TA around 70, then hitting it with 50ppm borates. Once I had the borates in, the white stuff went completely away. When I gave my LQ to a friend, he also had white stuff, and solved his problem the same way.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

this "white stuff" you guys are talking about...is that a problem with the stenner too? I mean, obviously the tube can get salt buildup, but am I going to eventually start seeing white stuff in my pool and get sucked into the borate thing too?
    Last edited by camueller; 05-31-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl
    Pentair Tagelus TA60D Sand filter
    Pentair Challenger 1.5HP pump CFII N1 1.5A
    Taylor K-2006-A, Stenner 45MPHP10 auto chlorine feed

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JayG View Post
    A good reason to have a ball valve to be able to take the Stenner out of service while cleaning the injector. I will definitely be checking this.
    As long as the pump is off I can easily unscrew the injector to check it. How would the ball valve help? Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by camueller View Post
    this "white stuff" you guys are talking about...is that a problem with the stenner too? I mean, obviously the tube can get salt buildup, but am I going to eventually start seeing white stuff in my pool and get sucked into the borate thing too?
    I thought this was just calcium since ours is pretty high. But, I did notice some white sediment in the bleach tank so I cleaned it out. I'll have to read up on this "white stuff."

10. Back To Top    #10

Can anyone clarify whether this white stuff is salt or calcium? And am I eventually going to get sucked into the borates thing to get rid of this "white stuff" no matter what method I use to inject or manually add liquid chlorine to my pool?

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

camueller -- I don't think we've ever figured out exactly what the 'White Stuff' is. No matter though, even some people with very high CH don't have a problem and some people with low CH do. And, it's not a highly prevalent problem. JimboAZ is the first person using a Stenner pump to have it anywhere that bad.

You are not going to get sucked into the borate thing (unless you want to) because of 'White Stuff'. Even if you have it, it's not something you need borates to handle. AT worse case, you may need to clean things a little more often, but even at that, it's not a very regular issue.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    camueller -- I don't think we've ever figured out exactly what the 'White Stuff' is. No matter though, even some people with very high CH don't have a problem and some people with low CH do. And, it's not a highly prevalent problem. JimboAZ is the first person using a Stenner pump to have it anywhere that bad.

You are not going to get sucked into the borate thing (unless you want to) because of 'White Stuff'. Even if you have it, it's not something you need borates to handle. AT worse case, you may need to clean things a little more often, but even at that, it's not a very regular issue.
    Cool! Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to be setting up my Stenner this weekend, so I'll hope for the best. I plan to regularly pull the injector and check it, but we all know how plans go!

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

13. Back To Top    #13

I don't think I've ever checked my injector, so it took about 3 years to completely close up. I will now regularly check it and clean it out before it becomes a big problem.

As far as other maintenance I've had to replace the phenolic gear several times due to water/rust in the pump and the tube maybe once a year. I need to work on a better cover besides the tiny Stenner cover.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by JimboAZ View Post
    I don't think I've ever checked my injector, so it took about 3 years to completely close up. I will now regularly check it and clean it out before it becomes a big problem.

As far as other maintenance I've had to replace the phenolic gear several times due to water/rust in the pump and the tube maybe once a year. I need to work on a better cover besides the tiny Stenner cover.
    I appreciate that tidbit of advice. I was going to rely on the stenner rain hood alone, but I don't want to tear this thing and rebuild it all the time. I already have enough carburetors to rebuild around my shop.

17,500 gallon IG Vinyl

15. Back To Top    #15

I just checked my injector and there was a little buildup on one side of it. This is after 1 year of use. Cleaned out and will schedule for next yera. Thanks for the headsup JimboAZ
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8