Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to replace power cord: options, please

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to replace power cord: options, please

The power cord of my booster pump is starting to fray where it enters the pump. Can I use a generic power cord that has a twist lock prong? If so, can you recommend a brand and model? I see options on the line for over $30 which seems like a lot for just a cord.
    Inground pool; about 20,000 gallons (18' x 36'); pool liner (vinyl?) a few years old; Haywood pump SPX2607X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to replace power cord: options, please

Quote Originally Posted by gb99 View Post
    The power cord of my booster pump is starting to fray where it enters the pump. Can I use a generic power cord that has a twist lock prong? If so, can you recommend a brand and model? I see options on the line for over $30 which seems like a lot for just a cord.
    If you have slack enough, you can just undo the cord inside the pump, undo the clamp, and then cut the cord down a few inches and reassemble it.

If you don't have enough slack, disconnect the wires inside the pump, undo the clamp, and take the cord to the nearest mom-n-pop hardware store and let them get you something that will work. For a twist-lock, thirty bucks seems reasonable. Just a replacement plug is about fifteen bucks.

All you really need to be sure of is that the plug is the right one and that the wires are at least the same size as the originals. Remember, on wires, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!