Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add this, Add that, says to add opposite things to balance pool. Confused.

1. Back To Top    #1

Add this, Add that, says to add opposite things to balance pool. Confused.

Okay, off and running. Pool seems fine. Looks good. People are happy.

BUT...despite 100% chlorine going in cell and super chlorinating for a day...I register nothing. Maybe just under 1. Not sure why. All is running well. Pool only 6 months old.

Next. PH is high. Added acid to lower. Worked.
    Then Alkalinity is way to low. Add baking soda stuff.
    Now PH is too high...keeps going back and forth.

How can I keep adding to find balance? If I get PH right, alkalinity is at 40/50, but fixing that lowers my PH to 6.8 and below.

Confused. Pool peeps too busy to come over.

Oh and the chlorine cell? No clue. But no green pool for weeks.

(Using aqua plus automation, Hayward chorine cell, and Hayward VS pump along with DE filter.

20x40 salt pool. 15k gallons.
    20x35 IG Grecian Sport Pool (4' x 5 1/2' x 4')
    1000' Sandstone Stamped Cocete
    Hayward SWG, DE Filter & Pro Logic LED
    3 deck jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add this, Add that, says to add opposite things to balance pool. Confused.

Let's back up.

How are you testing, and what are your test results, especially CYA? If you have low or no CYA, the SWG will not be able to keep up with normal demand, let alone raise the FC from nothing. If too high, the FC level may have never gotten high enough to kill algae, and once algae gets started, the SWG can't keep up with that demand. You may be in a stalemate where the SWG can keep the algae at bay but not kill it. And then you end up with cloudy water from all the dead bleached algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm using the test kit they gave me.
    FC
    Total Chorine
    Combined
    Bromine
    PH
    Alkalinity

That's it. Nothing about CYA. Never heard that mentioned.
    No sign of algae. Pool looks great. Why I'm confused.

4. Back To Top    #4

Test results.
    FC-0. If I wait 10min, might register just below 1.
    Didn't bother with total or combined. Failed first so didn't move on.
    Bromine didn't test. Told for spas.
    PH 7.8-8+
    Alkalinity 50

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by wxguy23 View Post
    I'm using the test kit they gave me.
    FC
    Total Chorine
    Combined
    Bromine
    PH
    Alkalinity

That's it. Nothing about CYA. Never heard that mentioned.
    No sign of algae. Pool looks great. Why I'm confused.
    I think it's time to get you up to speed. Off to Pool School with you

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is the best place to start. Then find the Chemistry tab and check out the articles on Test Kits. Your pool is too big to be called a kiddie pool. You have a grownup pool, so you need a grownup test kit. Or skip the article and head over to TFTestkits.net and order a TF100 and some salt strips. It'll ship out Tuesday from NC, so you'll have it Wednesday or Thursday most likely.

And in the meantime, give that SWG a hand by adding some chlorine manually, via bleach. 3 cups of standard 8.25% laundry bleach will raise FC 1 ppm in your pool. So dose accordingly. We have no clue what the CYA level is, so your best bet is to go no higher than 3, bleach and SWG combined.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, time to order a good test kit. I buy the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Then do a little Pool Schoolin, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Getting Started are great places to start.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I did read. Did what pool school said. Didn't add bleach yet...because I can't figure why my cell didn't produce it.

Pool school said add muric acid to lower PH. I did. But my alkalinity is way to low. Pool school says add baking soda stuff, so I did. All according to 15k and how much to raise. Then PH shot down to 6.8 because of baking soda recomendarion. So pool guy said add 3lbs of PH increaser...shot my PH to 7.8/8, dropped alkalinity to 30/40ppm. Back to recommended muric acid to start cycle over.

Pool school doesn't address this.

I will add bleach this PM.

I greatly appreciate the help. Ordering kit now.

8. Back To Top    #8

The yo-you effect comes from picking a target based on a suggestion and not paying attention to your pool. If you can keep the pH stable for a week or more with TA down at 60, don't go raising it to 80 because that's the midpoint in the general suggestion. Every pool is unique. Some people fight pH rise all season and finally give up and discover that it will sit at 7.8 for weeks at a time when they just do nothing. With regular testing you'll quickly learn your pool's quirks.

9. Back To Top    #9

Add your pool info to your sig so we can better help you, different pools need different things. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Add your pool info to your sig so we can better help you, different pools need different things. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    I did, its at the bottom.

Thanks again all. I added more bleach. Will re-evaluate this afternoon when I get home.
    3 deck jets

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The yo-you effect comes from picking a target based on a suggestion and not paying attention to your pool. If you can keep the pH stable for a week or more with TA down at 60, don't go raising it to 80 because that's the midpoint in the general suggestion. Every pool is unique. Some people fight pH rise all season and finally give up and discover that it will sit at 7.8 for weeks at a time when they just do nothing. With regular testing you'll quickly learn your pool's quirks.
    Like Richard says, don't chase artificial numbers. All the pool stores want my TA around 100 but my pool is happiest when it's down around 50.

You HAVE to keep FC at the correct level based on your CYA level of algae can form.

You HAVE to keep pH at the correct level or damage to equipment can occur.

There is no emergency to get any of the other numbers to a specific place. Take your time and learn your pool.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool school says...
    So pool guy said...
    Here's part of the problem. You'll read and hear this plenty here: Stop going to the pool store. Their 'advice' will often contradict the advice you'll receive here, and typically only works to empty your wallet.

"You cannot serve two masters."
    Pool/Equipment: 20'x52" round Intex Ultra Frame AGP (~8,800 gallons)--Intex SWCG (CG-28669, 15K gallon model)--Intex Sand Filter Pump (SF60110, 16", 120lbs sand, 3K gph)--Hayward SP1091LX Through-Wall Skimmer--Hard Plumbing--Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit--TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Okay,
    5 lbs of stabilizer
    4 lbs of baking soda

Test again tomorrow. Wish me luck.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you order the correct test kit yet?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

At $70+ for that kit...I'm holding off. Will soon. Got my water tested.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Without knowing CYA, adding stabilizer might send you into a really bad situation, one that only draining water can fix! Please, stop adding anything but bleach and order a proper test kit so that we can help you.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by triptyx View Post
    Without knowing CYA, adding stabilizer might send you into a really bad situation, one that only draining water can fix! Please, stop adding anything but bleach and order a proper test kit so that we can help you.
    Okay
    3 deck jets

18. Back To Top    #18

You will waste more money than the test kit costs by blindly adding chemicals. Realize that pool store testing is notoriously bad especially for the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

At $70+ for that kit...I'm holding off. Will soon. Got my water tested.
    I'll try to say this as nicely and softly as I can...but I'm afraid it's going to come across as harsh anyway. Please don't take it that way...it's meant to provide some introspection, not to criticize or belittle...

I don't know what your pool cost you, or the house you bought with it if you're not the original owner...but to be sure, there's easily 5 digits of pool and equipment in your sigline alone.

Does it really make sense to turn to the internet for guidance on managing it...and then hold off on a $70 expense that will give you the ability to do so?

You're confused...you say so yourself. And we get it...most of us have been there. How come when i do this, the pool does/doesn't do that? Why can't I get this number to here, or that test to say ____? Help, I feel like I'm chasing my tail!

There's really only 3 outcomes here.

1) Your pool gets away from you, and thousands of gallons of water, hundreds or thousands of dollars of chemicals and kits and "assistance", and hundreds of hours of quality time with friends and family are tossed away, because it's green and "nobody knows why".

2) Someone somewhere accidentally stumbles upon some chemical that, in sufficient quantities, results in "clear" water that convinces you everything is ok, putting bathers at risk, and eventually leading to option 1 when the magic wears off.

3) You spend $70, and in less than a week know *exactly* what's happening in your pool, why it's happening, and how to manage it, and have the ability to identify, react to, and troubleshoot problems inside of 24 hours of their first appearance.

Again...I don't mean to sound harsh...I simply hope you'll reconsider your reluctance to spend a small amount of money, and choose to take control of your pool, instead of living the other way around.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

20. Back To Top    #20

So....
    Update.
    PH 7.6
    FC O
    Alkalinity 40/50
    Stabalizer/CYA 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast