We don't need no stinking algae HELP!

Aug 21, 2011
Ct
Opened the pool last week and the only thing missing were the gators. Keep in mind this is Connecticut. Shocked the pool three times and now have an improved milky green color. The chorine level is still high and I've attached some photos. Here are the results of the latest tests

Chlorine Drop Test - 27.5 ppm
CC - 2 ppm
CYA - 50

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Pool overall.jpg
    Pool overall.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 146
The CC says you still have something growing in there.

The cloudy says you still have some filtering to do.

The FC is higher than needs be, so more bleach is not the answer.

Have you checked behind the lights? See Think I may have found my FC demand issue?

Aside from that, all you can do is try to improve circulation so that whatever particles are in the water find their way to the filter. Brush. Aim a return down to stir up the deep end. Open the main drain is you have one. Set the vacuum down on the bottom upside down to act as a main drain if you don't have one.

The CC says you still have something growing in there.

The cloudy says you still have some filtering to do.

The FC is higher than needs be, so more bleach is not the answer.

Have you checked behind the lights? See Think I may have found my FC demand issue?

Aside from that, all you can do is try to improve circulation so that whatever particles are in the water find their way to the filter. Brush. Aim a return down to stir up the deep end. Open the main drain is you have one. Set the vacuum down on the bottom upside down to act as a main drain if you don't have one.

Thanks. I have fiber optics so I don't think it's the lights. Is there any other chemical I can use?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Tim. I slammed it as per the instructions.

Flocs and clarifiers seldom work as promised and almost always gum up the filter. That's why we don't recommend them. Improve circulation today and give the pump a break tonight. Maybe you'll get lucky and the stuff will settle out so you can vacuum it up.

Thanks. I have the vacuum sucking up from the deep end now. I'll try your suggestion and give the pump a break tonight and see what happens. I never had this problem before. Could it have been the mild winter?

I still need HELP!!! The pool is clearing but only slightly each day. At this rate I may be able to use it in September. I'm not crazy about the Floc technique and looking for a flocking alternative. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I still need HELP!!! The pool is clearing but only slightly each day. At this rate I may be able to use it in September. I'm not crazy about the Floc technique and looking for a flocking alternative. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Have you been following the SLAM Processinstructions?

People have started with a black gooey pool and had it crystal clear in less than two weeks doing it that way. Recovering my old inspirational links

It it's been consistently above shock level for your CYA for the last couple days, you should have seen some improvement.

It's your pool, so you can add what you want. I've never used anything like flocs or clarifiers, so I have no recommendations there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine Drop Test - 27.5 ppm

How are you exactly getting this reading.. ?

To test high chlorine levels you need a DPD powder.. See here

Amazon.com : Taylor Replacement Reagent FAS-DPD Refill Kit (Large) - Over 100 Tests : Patio, Lawn Garden

With a CYA of 50 ( if that is indeed accurate ) your shock level needs to be at a 20.. Thing is you need to test very often and not let it drop.. Hold it there all day.

You need to set it at 20 at night and test first thing in the morning.If it drops then you know something is still eating your chlorine.. The filter needs to run on high 24/7.. ( Possibly your filter is compromised also...)

Is the pressure going up from all the filtering?

Keeping shock level a bit higher is ok.. Dont have to be right on 20..

Lets start there..

Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry just read you have swg....

- - - Updated - - -

To add / edit with a swg you need 60-70 CYA and a shock level of 28 or 30...

If you test and add

First thing in the morning
As soon as you get home from work
Once more before bed

that's "enough". Test and add to get to SLAM level each time.

Thanks for the reply but I'm getting really discouraged. I have the FC at 35 now and will attempt to keep it there. Pool is still really cloudy. I don't have an answer to the CYA question but it must be user error.

Can you tell us how you're testing your water?

Unless you are using stabilized chlorine, your CYA wouldn't go from 50 to 90. Are you using liquid chlorine?

Knowing your CYA number with accuracy is imperative to knowing where to target your chlorine for shock level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.