Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool open for first rough weekend

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool open for first rough weekend

Okay, let me first say that I have been coming to this site for a couple years reading everything before we put in our pool. With everything I have learned I was ready to take this on. Construction started in early May, but luckily the pool was filled and ready to go just before this long weekend. The service company came on Thursday to start up the equipment, but I told them I would handle all the chemicals. Let me just say that I got a crash course in pool ownership in the last few days, but came out on top. We had very excessive heat on Friday and Saturday with temps in the mid 90s and high humidity. On Saturday we had a high amount of swimmers in the pool, with a few kids. Just also happens to be high pollen season here and all the trees are dropping their flowers and seeds. To top that off, we got 2 inches of rain this morning. Staying on top of all the elements has kept me going for sure. Glad to report that at least the rain this morning has taken care of all the tree flowering so I won't have to deal with those until next year. Here are my numbers as of 20mins ago.

FC: 6.0
    CC: 0.0
    TA: 110
    CH: 230
    CYA: 40
    Salt: 3400

I know my CYA is low. With being so busy this weekend I have yet to have a chance to get more. However, my Amazon order will be here tomorrow so I will add it tomorrow night. FC may be a little high right now, but I am ok with that with all the junk falling from the trees and the rain this morning. I am still trying to find the sweet spot between filter runtime and percentage output on the salt cell. Not sure if I want to dial down to 20% or cut back a few hours. I will play with it over the next few days. I have the solar cover on now and its got a lot of water on it from the rain. My plan is to let the sun dry some of it out over the next few hours then take it off and vacuum. Skimmer socks have been my friend. I have been very good at checking them to make sure they are not clogging up. So thankful for everyone here! Can anyone think of anything I should do?
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool open for first rough weekend

Sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by rmclain73 View Post
    Can anyone think of anything I should do?
    Pat yourself on the back and buy yourself a drink. You've got it figured. Buy yourself a second round for having the good sense to tell the PB to beat it and to take his pails of chemicals with him.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

LOVE it! FUN and good times in a jewel of a pool

Now where is your PH test results?

I would also like you to do a search on heaters and CH. With you having a vinyl pool it should not be that big a deal BUT I THINK I remember something about heaters and CH. You can use the search box in the upper right hand side. Come back and teach me! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    LOVE it! FUN and good times in a jewel of a pool

Now where is your PH test results?

I would also like you to do a search on heaters and CH. With you having a vinyl pool it should not be that big a deal BUT I THINK I remember something about heaters and CH. You can use the search box in the upper right hand side. Come back and teach me! LOL

Kim
    PH: 7.4

In regard to the hardness and heaters in vinyl pools. You basically want at least 100ppm in the water to prevent the risk of corrosion to parts in the heater. It goes without saying that too much hardness will cause scaling.
    14x28 Kidney IG vinyl pool, 9250 gallons. Pentair 1.5hp superflo variable speed, Pentair Clean and Clear 240 Cartridge filter, Pentair IC40 SWCG, Hayward Heatpro 110,000k heat pump, Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Polaris 280, Taylor K-2006 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You are doing everything right! You are going to have the prettiest pool on the block! Thanks for the CH/heater info!

You numbers are spot on! SWEET!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit