Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much bleach should i buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much bleach should i buy?

On my way to buy 10%. I've got a 20000 gallon IG gunite pool. How much do you think I will need for a 3 month season?? First year with a pool, ordering the test kit this week.
    20000 gal in ground gunite
    Hayward s200 sand filter
    Hayward 1.5up single speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much bleach should i buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rurak View Post
    On my way to buy 10%. I've got a 20000 gallon IG gunite pool. How much do you think I will need for a 3 month season?? First year with a pool, ordering the test kit this week.
    You want to be careful stockpiling bleach because it breaks down over time. You need to know the date codes of manufacturing (typically printed on the bottles or box). You might get 10% initially but, by the end of 3 months, it could have degraded down to 8% or less. Bleach should always be stored in a cool dry place (preferably indoors) as temperature exacerbates the degradation.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

So how much do you think is reasonable to buy at one time? I have no idea how much I will need?
    Hayward s200 sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

If the pool is green or cloudy, buy all your car will hold.

If the pool looks okay, figure you'll use about 3 gallons a week. That's 2 ppm/day in 20,000 gallons. So realistically, 10 gallons will keep you going about three weeks. But if it comes in 4 packs, buy 12 jugs. No more than that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

While Richard gave you the answer, you should learn to use Pool Math so that you can do the calculations yourself. Instructions on use are here - Pool School - PoolMath
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool is Crystal clear. I can't seem to get pool math to work on my phone
    Hayward s200 sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool is Crystal clear. I can't seem to get pool math to work on my phone
    It works on my iPhone running the Chrome browser. What are you using?
    Matt

8. Back To Top    #8

I just got it working! Thanks guys.
    Hayward s200 sand filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Memorial Day is typically a peak usage weekend for TFP. So you can expect some server delays or weird error messages. I just got one myself.

If possible, store an offline copy of the PoolMath webpage on a computer or tablet device so that you can use it even if your network goes down.
    Matt

10. Back To Top    #10

I just got it working! Thanks guys.
    Hayward s200 sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm at the store, they have 12.5% sodium hypochlorite sold as "mega shock" for 2.99 a gallon. Is it a good deal?
    Hayward s200 sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm at the store, they have 12.5% sodium hypochlorite sold as "mega shock" for 2.99 a gallon. Is it a good deal?
    Not a steal, but a very reasonable price.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm on the fence. I've got a bucket of 3" pucks from last year. I hate spending the money when I've already got the stuff at home. I know it raises CYA, I drain about 1/4 every winter and full back up in the spring. You think I can get away with pucks this year?
    Hayward s200 sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm on the fence. I've got a bucket of 3" pucks from last year. I hate spending the money when I've already got the stuff at home. I know it raises CYA, I drain about 1/4 every winter and full back up in the spring. You think I can get away with pucks this year?
    That depends entirely on what the starting CYA is. Remember that as CYA climbs, so does the minimum FC level. So you may still end up needing to supplement the FC with bleach. Otherwise you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you add more FC with an extra puck, which adds more CYA which raises the minimum again, so you etc etc etc ad infinitum until you're posting in August that the pool is always cloudy or the green won't go away.

Pucks will last for years if the bucket stays closed. I use pucks to replace lost CYA from backwashing and also to chlorinate when I'm out of town for more than a couple days.

Besides adding FC and CYA, pucks are also very acidic. If you think you can juggle three parameters, go for it.

15. Back To Top    #15

My CYA is 30 on the strip. Ch is 200. Fc is 1 ph is 7.2. Ta is 40
    Hayward s200 sand filter

16. Back To Top    #16

My CYA is 30 on the strip. Ch is 200. Fc is 1 ph is 7.2. Ta is 40
    Test strips?

I wouldn't add anything but bleach until you get a proper test kit.

You'd probably be just as accurate with your tests doing it like this

17. Back To Top    #17

Hahaha. I'm ordering the taylor kit you guys recommend on here. I feel like I could just dump a bunch of 100s in the pool instead of chemicals!!
    Hayward s200 sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

Hahaha. I'm ordering the taylor kit you guys recommend on here. I feel like I could just dump a bunch of 100s in the pool instead of chemicals!!
    Go the pool store route and you will!

The test kit is an investment. It will pay for itself two or three times over in the first year alone. Don't believe me? Ask him: another Added shock chlorine but sill, FC = 0 ?

19. Back To Top    #19

If I was even close to approaching 700$ in chemicals for the year I would give up for the year .... I'm finishing out my 3" pucks and switching to the tfp method
    Hayward s200 sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

I buy mine 3 cases at a time (12 bottles). It's enough to get you going if you need to spring into action, it's enough to share if the neighbor needs some. And if it isn't going as fast as I like it to go I use it in the bathrooms to clean the toilets and I'll scrub the coolers and outside chairs down.

Our pool sees a lot of action, we have a ton of trees and a huge planted field way out back so I go through it at a decent rate.

$2.99 is what I am paying for my 12.5% ~ it's a really good price for that strength in my area. We did just get a Rural King, I don't know if you have one of those near, but I hear everyone saying their prices are great in general and if I am not mistaken I believe I read here on the forum they have bleach priced nicely.
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day