Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water level with automatic pool covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Water level with automatic pool covers

For those of you that have automatic pool covers, where do you put your water level in relation to the skimmer and/or the top of the tiled vault wall (where water spills over)? Did your automatic cover company have specific instructions like - a) keep it level with the tiled vault wall; b) midway between bottom and top of skimmer; c) 1" above the skimmer's mid-height; d) etc...? . I ask because the different techs that came to do maintenance and/or repairs seem to have different instructions/opinions. For the meantime, I have just been keeping it slightly above the skimmer's mid-height that puts it about 3/4" below the top of the tiled vault wall.
    14,000 gals; IG gunite - Wet Edge Primera Stone finish; Sta-Rite/Pentair Intelliflo variable speed; Sta-Rite/Pentair system3 S7M400 cartrige; Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater; (Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator- for vacation use only); built-in automatic pool cover; Trident II UV system (on recall not currently used); built 10/31/2012; TFT-100; MX8 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Water level with automatic pool covers

I don't have an auto cover but those I know that have them have to keep the water level so that the cover's weight is partially supported by the water (buoyancy) or else it's puts too much stress on the rails.

Can you call the manufacturer and ask them?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Water level with automatic pool covers

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I don't have an auto cover but those I know that have them have to keep the water level so that the cover's weight is partially supported by the water (buoyancy) or else it's puts too much stress on the rails.

Can you call the manufacturer and ask them?
    Thanks. Depending on who answer the phone, I'd get ta different answer. Cover is by PoolCoversInc.
    14,000 gals; IG gunite - Wet Edge Primera Stone finish; Sta-Rite/Pentair Intelliflo variable speed; Sta-Rite/Pentair system3 S7M400 cartrige; Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 400 heater; (Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator- for vacation use only); built-in automatic pool cover; Trident II UV system (on recall not currently used); built 10/31/2012; TFT-100; MX8 cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep my water at the half way spot on the skimmer plate. My cover manual refers to the cover material being supported by the water and warns against dropping the water too low.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

I keep the water level right smack in the middle of the middle screw head on the skimmer plate. A little higher is ok, but not lower than that.