Tiles and Plaster and Paint, oh my! DIY Questions

Sep 4, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Hey TFP'ers,
wondering if I bit off more than I can chew. Got an 33k gallon, in-ground, plaster over gunite pool that has been neglected by previous owners for years- Tiles popping off, sections of pool plaster bowing out, etc. The pool paint is washing off with just a garden hose. And, I think the last time they may have sealed anything was more than a decade ago.

Took the plunge to diy this project. So, I've ground out the whateveritis between the coping and the top of the tile (in some places it seems like plaster, in other places it's something translucent and crystaline, but none of it looked like mortar) Behind almost all of the tiles the peeled off with my bare fingers, it was wet, grainy, and had bugs living there. I've had to remove some coping around the spa as that mortar had completely dissolved into sand. Chunks of pool plaster are also peeling off with my bare fingers. I've taken off all tile where tapping gave me a hollow sound. Everything else in place seems to be solid (enough)

My Plan (and here's where I'm asking for guidance or blessings) is the following-
  1. Power wash the gap between coping and tile
  2. Power wash bare gunite
  3. build back up the wall under spa coping
  4. Pipe mortar into the gap between coping and tile
  5. Put tiles back in place using Vulkem 116 and grout using the same
  6. seal all gaps in coping stones with Vulkem 116 or clear silicone
  7. Acid wash
  8. Paint with Ramuc type e epoxy paint

I did a lot of looking around and settled on Quikrete Glass Block Mortar- It already has acrylics for flexibility, will handle freeze/thaw, and is waterproof. I'm adding some bonding agent to help ensure a good seal.

Questions:
Where the plaster just peeled off the wall, should I re-plaster that area? spread a thin coat of mortar? or just smooth the edges, clean and paint it?
Am I missing any other steps? :confused:

Pictures-
View attachment 49070
View attachment 49071

Attachments

• life forms behind the tile.jpg
    life forms behind the tile.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 74
  • plaster peeling off wall.jpg
    plaster peeling off wall.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 74
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.