So, after reading of the advantages of using borates to help stabilize the PH and the aesthetics of the pool, I am considering adding boric acid to the pool this year. But, then I have heard about chronic boric acid poisoning from repeated exposure and ingestion. Now, obviously we will not be using the pool for drinking water, but often times have children in the pool - and as any one with experience with children and swimming pools know - they tend to ingest a lot of water when playing in the pool. At 50ppm, is there any concern with this type of poisoning? I know that with many things "we have always done" can later be identified as the root cause of many ailments.
Any chemists out there that can eliminate these fears?