35k gallon pool build, need equipment advice from the professionals

May 23, 2016
Dix Hills, NY
Hope everyones memorial day weekend went well. We are in contract to complete a 44x22 vinyl salt water rectangular pool with a 6x6 spa built into one corner with no spillover and a 15' x 7' tanning ledge with descending stairs next to it. Pool is a non diving pool with a little under 35k gallons. We are located in Long Island so the pool/spa combo will see about 4-4.5 months of use. I am looking for the opinions on the most energy efficient, simplest pumping design possible. The pool will be a black sand liner with all black swimmers and returns/to mimic a gunite look/finish. The pool/spa will not be simultaneously heated so I was thinking of going 1 pump, 1 cartridge filter, 1 400k nat gas heater but opinions on the setup are wanted/welcomed. The spa will have 8 jets so I figured I would need a filter/pump that can handle around 120 GPM for the spa when running and about 75 GPM for the pool. Please fire opinions away. i attached a pic of our layout. Please disregard the spillover section in the spa as it no longer there.

Welcome to TFP :)

Go BIG :) stay with 1 manufacture, Hayward, Pentair, or Jandy for everything

Pentair is probably your best choice because of SWG IC60 puts out 2 pounds a day ( the new RJ 60 plus puts out 3 pounds a day, but use only if not automating the SWG), grab the Clean and clear 520 filter, the 3hp intelliflo VS pump and it all works together if you automate everything

http://www.pentairpool.com/images/product_images/wholegood/IntelliFloVSP/IntelliFloVSCurve.GIF
Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

I hope this helps :)

Thanks for the quick reply. We were leaning toward the pentair product line already. Only conundrum is on the heater side. We love the efficiency of the lochnivar heater but cannot find a lot of reviews on it. As far as automation goes, we wanted something basic that controls the swg, heater, spa, pool, and 3 total lights and also has an iPhone. app. Does that exist?

yep, pentair is your go to for automation, it's expensive but worth it if you want Iphone

I can't even begin to tell you what all you will need, there is so many different ways and options... tell the pool builder what you want, get the list from them and post back, we can see if it all works together..

My pool builder wanted us to go a dedicated 2 speed (non vs) for the pool and seperate single speed pump for the spa. I thought going the single pump design with an oversized VS would be the way to go. I'm a mechanical Hvac engineer by trade so I think I know enough to be dangerous but admit the wet side/plumbing isn't my area of expertise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.