Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with flock!!

1. Back To Top    #1

South Bend, indiana

Help with flock!!

I have a 30,000 gal pool. It has been unused for a year or two by previous owners. It's in ground with a vinyl liner. It has a sta rite cristal flo sand filter. I used a whole bottle of HTH floc last night, recirculated for 2 hours, and then let it sit for 12 hours. I have a film of brown patches cover the entire top of the water. Per my local pool store, my levels were the following.can you please help me.
    Saturation idx: 0.4
    TDS: 500
    CYA: 0
    Tot chlorine: 0.1
    Free chlorine: 0
    Ph: 8
    Tot alkalinity:106
    Adj. total alk: 106
    Tot. Hardness: 178
    Salt: n/a
    Copper: 0
    Iron: 0
    Manganese: no
    Hazy: no
    Cloudy: no
    Green/black/mustard algae: no
    Slime/ mold: no

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Help with flock!!

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately, very few of us have used floc since it is not recommend, so I am not sure what to suggest regarding that.

I do know if you want to take control of your pool, you are going to have to invest in one of the recommended test kits and not trusting the pool store testing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Welcome to TFP!

I've never used floc before so I can't help with that. But, here is what I would do. Order a TF100 with XL option from Add a jug of bleach every day. Brush the pool. Scoop out as much stuff as possible.

And read this, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    and this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

When your test kit comes in post up some test results.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Columbia SC

Welcome to TFP

As the others above, I also have no experience using floc as it isn't necessary. You will get a lot of help here if you want to get a good test kit and take control back from the pool store. But, mixing store advice with ours will likely leave you confused and out more unnecessary $$$.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I guess I'll make it unanimous: I've never used floc, either.

But you want answers. The stuff on the surface... will your leaf skimmer
    catch it, or just stir it around? Do you think lining the leaf skimmer with paper towels, or stretching some pantyhose over it would get it?

How about the same approach on the pool skimmer basket?

Next is to get rid of the crud on the bottom. Start by setting the garden hose in the pool and start adding water. Then connect your vacuum and set the filter to "waste" and start vacuuming it up. You're on a tightrope. You don't want to move too fast or you'll stir the stuff up. You want to sneak up on it and let the vacuum pull it in ahead of itself. But if you move too slow, you'll empty out too much water despite the additions and you'll have to stop an let it refill.

After the debris is gone and the pool is back up to the right level, then you can get to the root cause: the chemistry. Free pool store tests are worth every cent you paid for them. I know we sound like a broken record, but to take control of your pool, you really need your own test kit. It's essential. With the water you lost vacuuming (You'd lose a bunch if you choose to vacuum to filter and then backwash after, too) the test results you have are no longer valid, if indeed they ever were.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!