Curious on the K-1000 vs TF-100 Chlorine results.

Trick

Silver Supporter
Apr 21, 2015
Waterford, MI
Help me understand this more. The K-1000 tests Total Chlorine and the TF-100 is Free Chlorine, what is the difference?

I'm asking because when I run the K-1000 test it indicates a deep yellow and an over 10+ reading. It makes me think my chlorine is too high. Then I run the TF-100 an its showing FC at 6. CC is zero.

Just wondering how I should be using these tests. Like maybe the K-1000 is just a basic test to show you have chlorine and that's all its meant to be used for., While the weekly TF-100 is the actual number.

Total chlorine is the sum of free chlorine and combined chlorine (FC + CC = TC). For TFP purposes, we like to know what each one (FC & CC) are at any given time. The FC is your fresh/clean chlorine that is actively working in your favor. The CC is the processed chlorine that is breaking-down organics and awaiting oxidation. So basically the OTO type tests are simply used to ensure you have some chlorine. The more you practice with the OTO, the better many people become at differentiating the shades. Still, the FAS-DPD tells you specific amounts of FC & CC and gives a better indication of potential problems (excess organics). How often to use each test is a personal option. Some use the OTO daily and do the FAS-DPD every couple days, while others (like me) use the FAS-DPD every day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.