Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super low FC and CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

Super low FC and CYA

I'm new to the forum. I cannot get the FC or the CYA to raise to ideal level. All other levels are perfect. What do I need to add?
    Karen Holley
    20x40 in ground pool
    vinyl liner
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Super low FC and CYA

Welcome to TFP!

Could you post a full set of test numbers and the test kit you are using?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Karen and welcome! Also please add which test kit you have to your signature when you get a moment. It keeps us from asking each time.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm using Aqua Check
    FC is 0
    CYA is 0
    Karen Holley
    20x40 in ground pool
    vinyl liner
    sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Unfortunately that is not one of the recommended kits. I do have a link in my signature to TFTestKits, or a Taylor K-2006 will do as well.

When you get your kit post a full set of numbers and we will go from there.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

Based on the info you have provided so far the most likely scenario is that you have algae growing in your pool consuming your chlorine as fast as you are adding it, and the sun is also consuming it rapidly. To clear algae from your pool we use this process, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. To perform a SLAM you need an FAS/DPD chlorine test. The best way to get that is to order a TF100 with XL option from TFTestkits.net. I have been buying my test kits there for years.

While you wait for the kit add a gallon of bleach to the pool daily and brush. And read this, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and this, Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach