Green cloudy pool! Nothing works to clear it!!??

May 30, 2016
Pelham nh
Hi,
we opened our pool last week.. Swamp green.. It's like that every year.. We put in 8 gallons of shock and 2 gallons of Algecide.. Went from swamp green to a lighter shade of swamp... Pool store then said add more shock??!! Nothing happen!!!! Then they said maybe it's metals. Added metal remover? Nothing! Then they said try to floc. We put that in yesterday at 3 and nothing has changed! That usually does the trick.. But not this time. I'm not sure what to do anymore!!?? These were our test results Saturday before I did the flock
FC 9.36
TC 10.97
CC 1.61
PH 74
Alk 19
CA 33
copper .1
phosphate 37

Hi and welcome to TFP! :wave: Funny how the pool store tells you that you may have metals, and THEY are the ones contributing to it by adding metals with their algaecide. I bet they didn't tell you that? Well, have no fear, we can help you. But you need to test the water on your own and post your OWN set of results from either a TF-100 (Link below) or Taylor K-2006. That's where it all begins. Please see the TF-100 link in my sig, post those results, and we can get you in the right direction. The pool store testing is just as undependable as their advice.

You're very welcome. Since you need to "SLAM" (link also below) I would recommend the XL Option with the TF-100 and the "Speed Stir" which everyone has high praises for to help mixing. You'll see. The TF-100 is packed with (more) Taylor reagents then any other kit, so you're getting a great value.

In the meantime, don't add anything else to your water except perhaps 1/2 gallon of regular liquid bleach from the grocery store. Just plain/regular bleach added near the return jet(s). It won't clear things yet, but it may help it from getting worse. While waiting for your kit, read that SLAM page and our TFP Pool School for very solid information. That way you'll be ready when the kit arrives.

Really nothing else but bleach except continue to move water around and sweep/brush just to keep the algae/junk from getting too comfortable. Once you get your test kit, you will be making changes with no wasted chemicals or most importantly .... $$$$$. :)

Yes. You really do need accurate testing to know how much of what to add to pool. Add what Texas Splash reccomended and I can't say this enough......brush brush brush. I've learned from experience on this one after finding algae hidden in all kinds of cracks and crevices.

You can still run the pump/filter, just keep and eye on the pressure gauge. When it increases by 25% from the beginning (clean) pressure, you should clean it. Oh, now would actually be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool equipment to help us in the future. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.