Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green cloudy pool! Nothing works to clear it!!??

1. Back To Top    #1

Green cloudy pool! Nothing works to clear it!!??

Hi,
    we opened our pool last week.. Swamp green.. It's like that every year.. We put in 8 gallons of shock and 2 gallons of Algecide.. Went from swamp green to a lighter shade of swamp... Pool store then said add more shock??!! Nothing happen!!!! Then they said maybe it's metals. Added metal remover? Nothing! Then they said try to floc. We put that in yesterday at 3 and nothing has changed! That usually does the trick.. But not this time. I'm not sure what to do anymore!!?? These were our test results Saturday before I did the flock
    FC 9.36
    TC 10.97
    CC 1.61
    PH 74
    Alk 19
    CA 33
    copper .1
    phosphate 37
    15x32?in-ground

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green cloudy pool! Nothing works to clear it!!??

Hi and welcome to TFP! Funny how the pool store tells you that you may have metals, and THEY are the ones contributing to it by adding metals with their algaecide. I bet they didn't tell you that? Well, have no fear, we can help you. But you need to test the water on your own and post your OWN set of results from either a TF-100 (Link below) or Taylor K-2006. That's where it all begins. Please see the TF-100 link in my sig, post those results, and we can get you in the right direction. The pool store testing is just as undependable as their advice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I hope you guys can help because I'm ready to close the pool already lol lol! I don't have one of those kits so let me check your link! Thank you so much!!!!
    15x32?in-ground

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

We can help, but you have to want to learn and test your own water. Mixing our advice with the pool stores will likely leave you confused and out more unnessary $$. Start reading in pool school.

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

You're very welcome. Since you need to "SLAM" (link also below) I would recommend the XL Option with the TF-100 and the "Speed Stir" which everyone has high praises for to help mixing. You'll see. The TF-100 is packed with (more) Taylor reagents then any other kit, so you're getting a great value.

In the meantime, don't add anything else to your water except perhaps 1/2 gallon of regular liquid bleach from the grocery store. Just plain/regular bleach added near the return jet(s). It won't clear things yet, but it may help it from getting worse. While waiting for your kit, read that SLAM page and our TFP Pool School for very solid information. That way you'll be ready when the kit arrives.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone! In the mean time I will do the bleach but there's nothing else to do but wait for the kit? That could take a while ahhhh
    15x32?in-ground

7. Back To Top    #7

Really nothing else but bleach except continue to move water around and sweep/brush just to keep the algae/junk from getting too comfortable. Once you get your test kit, you will be making changes with no wasted chemicals or most importantly .... $$$$$.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Yes. You really do need accurate testing to know how much of what to add to pool. Add what Texas Splash reccomended and I can't say this enough......brush brush brush. I've learned from experience on this one after finding algae hidden in all kinds of cracks and crevices.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

9. Back To Top    #9

Should I just run the filter constantly? Until I get it to clear up?
    15x32?in-ground

10. Back To Top    #10

You can still run the pump/filter, just keep and eye on the pressure gauge. When it increases by 25% from the beginning (clean) pressure, you should clean it. Oh, now would actually be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool equipment to help us in the future.