My water went to Disneyland

Captain 776

Bronze Supporter
May 2, 2016
Thailand
Hello,

New to this and first time I used Pool Math.

Last time I ran Pool Math, it said I needed;
6 96 oz bottles of Bleach
96 oz of Baking Soda
181 oz of Calcium Chloride
91 oz of CYA

I also added 100 lbs of Salt

Yesterday I added the Baking Soda and today through the c course of the day, I added the others above.

Let it run all day to mix and turn over the pool and did tests at 6 pm.

Salt - 3.96
PH 8.2
Chlorine by comparator Kokido comparator kit / add 5 drops.........was a bright orange colour, so could not read a value
FC - 25
CC -1.5
CYA - 50 It was zero before adding the 91 oz of CYA today.
TA - I stopped at 90 drops......so if I am correct, it is now over 900. I repeated this test to make sure, even at 90 drops, only pale yellow, will not turn red.
CH - 100

Now chorine is off the charts........looks like that 6 jugs of bleach was too much
Now TA is at least double what it should be
Now CH is also high

I am going to go plug these values into Pool Math

Really looking forward to advice here.

Thanks,

Bruce

After writing this post, I see ONE mistake I made and maybe not the only one......I added 6 jugs of Chlorine when none was required, when I saw that 6 that is always there, I took that for 6 jugs but it is the box before that is the important one and is was ZERO........I am dumping water to waste right now to get rid of the Chlorine and high TA.

Waiting for advice.....

poolmath is great but the now column is what you tested and the target column is what you want.. always do this before you add :) I converted your pool using the bottom of poolmath, it say's 15,000 gallons not 17000?? go to the bottom of poolmath and change the setting to TFP, plaster and bleach, this will give the recommended level in each block

Your FC will go down on its own and it is killing anything in there :) With a CYA of 50 your SLAM fc is 20, so you are a little over but not much

CC over .5 means your killing something in there and you are at 1.5

PH: drop to 7.2 using MA

the baking soda raised your TA 28, how are you testing? 10ml, 25ml

your CH is very low, not high, you should be between 250 and 350

I hope this helps :)

poolmath is great but the now column is what you tested and the target column is what you want.. always do this before you add :) I converted your pool using the bottom of poolmath, it say's 15,000 gallons not 17000?? go to the bottom of poolmath and change the setting to TFP, plaster and bleach, this will give the recommended level in each blo
That is what I did pertaining to now and target column and I got the target values from one of the Moderators in his signature.
I went back and checked my 8 meter x 4 meter by 6'6" deep rectangle with no shallow end and @ 26.24 x 13.12 x 6'6" = 17,100 am I doing something wrong there?
I will go make the other changes you recommend for plaster and bleach, today was the first time in 1.5 yrs I used liquid bleach, prior to that, it was just SWG.

Your FC will go down on its own and it is killing anything in there :) With a CYA of 50 your SLAM fc is 20, so you are a little over but not muchF
For my future reference, what is the calculation / correlation to determine the FC is 20 based on the CYA of 50.
When I use the Kokido comparator and 5 drops, it turns BRIGHT orange, never did that before.
The mistake was, when I looked at pool Math and Chlorine, I saw 6 and 96 oz jugs and didn't realize the quantity box was zero and then added 6 jugs today.

CC over .5 means your killing something in there and you are at 1.5 OK. I am going to be away from Tues to Friday, so I will test again when I get back home.

PH: drop to 7.2 using MA.....I have some on hand, I will use Pool Math and see how much I need and get that in before I leave tomorrow

the baking soda raised your TA 28, how are you testing? 10ml, 25ml 10 ml

your CH is very low, not high, you should be between 250 and 350 Other than what I said above, I will have to run all new tests when I get back and then get it all balanced again.

I hope this helps :)

​Thank you for your reply.

Hi Captain.

I was wondering how you were faring.

I did the calculation for your pool volume based on the dimensions you provided and I got 17 000 gallons as well.

Your TA can change to yellow for the colour change with high FC rather than the normal red but it is still valid. Just count the number of drops until you can't see a colour change with the yellow and deduct the last drop that doesn't change. I am wondering if that will give you a more reasonable reading on your TA.

Your pH will read high with such a high FC so you need to get that down to <10 and then conduct another test to an accurate reading.

I thought that you reported a high CC before so if it is continuing to test greater than 0.5 then you may have an organic issue which you will need to sort out with a SLAM . The FC/CYA chart gives you an overview for the FC level you should hold for your CYA and the necessary shock level for SLAMMING the pool if you have an algal issue.

Just wondering why you are dumping water -that is not going to necessarily bring your chlorine down a huge amount and there is no harm in where it is- it will just come down fairly quickly. I wouldn't turn off the SWG- just let it tick over while your away. It is better to have a little too much chlorine than none at all and you may find that you don't have any when you get back especially if you have organics (as indicated by your CC reading)

I agree on the Chlorine, rather too much than too little.
i really dumped the water to lower the TA that was also off the charts and over 900.
I am back home tomorrow, now I am much more comfortable with Pool Math and better understand how to use it.
I will do a complete new round of tests when I get home tomorrow and step by step, I will get balanced.
It was a stupid mistake to look at the Chlorne in Pool a Math and only see the 6 and 96 and not notice the first box was zero and none needed to be added.
i will never do what I did that day and add all those chemicals at once, I learned a valuable lesson.

thanks to all.........this is a great site for pool owners.

Bruce

Water is back in the ballpark........

Todays Numbers:
Salt - 2.7
FC -7
CC - .5
PH - 7.2
TA - 40
CH - 70
CYA - 40

I will begin to add the required chemical amounts per Pool Math.

18 oz PH Plus
120 oz Baking Soda
835 ox Calcium Chloride
68 oz Cyanuric Acid

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.