Hayward Motor Casing Temperature

My 1-hp Hayward pump is in a small room off the deck. The ambient temp in the room was 78 degrees today. Pump runs fine, maybe a little noise on start up but other than that, no issues. Ever sense i bought this residence i notice the motor seems to put out a lot of heat. So today i put my infrared gun on the motor and got these readings

1) Back electrical cover area - 157 f
2) Middle of motor casing - 184 f
3) Motor and Pump connection - 91 f

Question - what would/should be a ball park normal range.

Thanks

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
135 to 150 F, warm
Over 150 F, too hot.

Thanks for the responses. Something internal going on that is not good. Started looking online at pumps for replacement and upgrade. Current system is supposed to be original installation, (1994)

Not sure if you've tried this already, but make sure all of the vents in the motor/pump casing are clear.

My Northstar was running really hot last season, turns out there were vents in the motor case partially hidden by the pump casing. Pulled off the pump casing part that was in the way, cleared out the vents and the motor ran much cooler for the rest of the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.