Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Motor Casing Temperature

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Motor Casing Temperature

My 1-hp Hayward pump is in a small room off the deck. The ambient temp in the room was 78 degrees today. Pump runs fine, maybe a little noise on start up but other than that, no issues. Ever sense i bought this residence i notice the motor seems to put out a lot of heat. So today i put my infrared gun on the motor and got these readings

1) Back electrical cover area - 157 f
    2) Middle of motor casing - 184 f
    3) Motor and Pump connection - 91 f

Question - what would/should be a ball park normal range.

Thanks
    18x36 Rectangle, estimated 27,000 gal, new vinyl 2015. Pool was built in 1994
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Model No. S-244T, 62 GPM Filtration and Backwash Design Flow
    Hayward Max-Flo Pump ( 1-hp ) 115/230 SP 2807X10

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Motor Casing Temperature

That seems a bit warm to me. I think you should be able to leave your hand on the motor
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Assuming you are measuring surface temperature, in the shade, at air temperatures less than
    90 F, I would give this as a rough guide:

Below 135 F, good
    135 to 150 F, warm
    Over 150 F, too hot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. Something internal going on that is not good. Started looking online at pumps for replacement and upgrade. Current system is supposed to be original installation, (1994)
    18x36 Rectangle, estimated 27,000 gal, new vinyl 2015. Pool was built in 1994
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, Model No. S-244T, 62 GPM Filtration and Backwash Design Flow
    Hayward Max-Flo Pump ( 1-hp ) 115/230 SP 2807X10

5. Back To Top    #5

Likely bearings going bad. I would recommended upgrading to a 2 speed motor to put in your existing pump. Or consider a full pump replacement.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Something internal going on that is not good. Started looking online at pumps for replacement and upgrade. Current system is supposed to be original installation, (1994)
    Not sure if you've tried this already, but make sure all of the vents in the motor/pump casing are clear.

My Northstar was running really hot last season, turns out there were vents in the motor case partially hidden by the pump casing. Pulled off the pump casing part that was in the way, cleared out the vents and the motor ran much cooler for the rest of the season.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

7. Back To Top    #7

Is it a 22 year old pump?

Can you post a picture of the motor label?