Catterpillars in my pool!!??

RCal

May 29, 2016
Danbury
Hi! I'm not very good at this pool thing - so would really appreciate your help. I now have critters.

We started opening the pool 2 weeks ago. Admittedly, we did a pretty poor job of closing it (bought a do it yourself kit, but the cover didn't entirely stay on the pool). Used about 12 bags of shock, water started clearing up. Cleaned out a lot of debris..... day after day. Water was light green but still couldn't see the bottom. Running filter 24 hours. Managed to pull out a rather stinky dead squirrel - EEEEKKK

Went away for 3 nights....had to turn off filter as all the stringys are coming off the oak and falling into the pool. Returned home, cleaned top, leaf eating the bottom, filter back on. Now I'm finding lots of green caterpillars among the leaves I pull out (YUCK). And they are still alive after I've thrown in 9 bags of shock.

Any idea of what they are and how to get rid of them? I'm also finding little white flakes.

The pool is above ground, 12x24 feet, chlorine. New filter cartridge.......
Appreciate the help!!

Hi,
Im sure the caterpillars fell from the trees. If it rained recently, the rain may have knocked them off. The catepillar cycle is short though, so they should be gone soon enough.

I would recommend that you read the articles in Pool School. Click the big button at top right of the page.
The articles and methods described there will teach you how to take care of your pool.

hope this helps,

Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state to your location, climate is important when we are helping you with your pool.

Step 1 get a great test kit. I have been buying mine from TFTestkits.net for years. Get the TF100 with XL option.

Step 2 stay outta the pool store

Step 3 scoop out everything with a net

Step 4 add 1/3 jug of bleach to the pool daily and brush

Step 5 read this, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain while you wait for your test kit, this is how we kill algae

Step 6 read this Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and this Pool School - Getting Started

Step 7 post test results when your test kit arrives

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.