Removing algae from friends pool

Mar 25, 2014
Florida
Hello I've started working on a friend's 33k gallon pool which has algae which I've already Put in cyanuric acid, half a gallon of muriatic acid, 5 gallons of sodium hypochlorite, 3lbs of shock and enough sodium bromide for 30k gallons and ran for 24 hours put in more chlorine and brushed with stainless steel brush and a pressure washed but algae won't budge. Should I do a second sodium bromide treatment?

Taylor K-2005 readings 1 test
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 150
CH 150
CYA 0

Sodium bromide is not an algaecide. It is used by some pools that are severely overstabilized to convert the pool to a bromine pool but will do zero to help a pool with low stabilizer levels. He will likely see higher chlorine demand now because bromine is not protected from sunlight by CYA so it will burn off faster during the day.

If you want to kill algae you need chlorine and need to SLAM Process

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Jbfilms, this is unfortunate to say but algaecides in an already algae filled pool don't do anything. They're a preventative not a cure. Sodium Bromide effectively turns a chlorine pool into a bromine pool, as soon as you add more chlorine to the water it will re-activate the bromine. This may be a problem for you and your friend.

How much CYA did you want to add to get to what level? The shock you put in may have also contained some, so do be careful that you don't over do it.

Have you read Pool School yet? The link is up at the right top of this page and I hope you'll find it very useful and helpful.

Keep us posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.