Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing algae from friends pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing algae from friends pool

Hello I've started working on a friend's 33k gallon pool which has algae which I've already Put in cyanuric acid, half a gallon of muriatic acid, 5 gallons of sodium hypochlorite, 3lbs of shock and enough sodium bromide for 30k gallons and ran for 24 hours put in more chlorine and brushed with stainless steel brush and a pressure washed but algae won't budge. Should I do a second sodium bromide treatment?

Taylor K-2005 readings 1 test
    FC 0
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 150
    CH 150
    CYA 0

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Removing algae from friends pool

Why would you be putting in sodium bromide? Is this an indoor pool that will be using bromine to sanitize?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I think they are forced into have a bromine pool now aren't they? Unless you replace the water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Algaecide I meant.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Sodium bromide is not an algaecide. It is used by some pools that are severely overstabilized to convert the pool to a bromine pool but will do zero to help a pool with low stabilizer levels. He will likely see higher chlorine demand now because bromine is not protected from sunlight by CYA so it will burn off faster during the day.

If you want to kill algae you need chlorine and need to SLAM

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

Jbfilms, this is unfortunate to say but algaecides in an already algae filled pool don't do anything. They're a preventative not a cure. Sodium Bromide effectively turns a chlorine pool into a bromine pool, as soon as you add more chlorine to the water it will re-activate the bromine. This may be a problem for you and your friend.

How much CYA did you want to add to get to what level? The shock you put in may have also contained some, so do be careful that you don't over do it.

Have you read Pool School yet? The link is up at the right top of this page and I hope you'll find it very useful and helpful.

Keep us posted.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain