Help! - Itchy skin with red spots after swimming...

Jul 14, 2015
Monroe, NC
Hey guys,

I am a newbie and have converted over to the TFP method after using the Frog system for several years. I switched over at the end of last season and the pool has never looked cleaner. I do have a question and was hoping someone could give me some advice. My kids will get out of the pool and complain about itching with dry skin and occasionally have red splotches on their backs\abs. Has anyone ever had this issue before? Just trying to find out if I am doing something wrong. Thoughts? Suggestions?

My pool is 17200 gallons
FC = 7
PH =7.6
TA = 80
CYA =45
CH = 260
Borates =50

I have seen what your talking about but it was with Bromine in my hot tub, most people that I have heard of this also have hot tubs...

Your numbers look good... what is the CC at, that will tell us if anything is in the pool using the FC

I found this from a previous post APSP Newsletter for Public Health Officials, from skimming it, how long have they been in the pool for how many days.. they may have just had too much time in the pool :)

could it be heat related?

Do they all have it or just some of the kids?

I hope this helps :)

After they get out of the pool and take a shower it seems to help. The pool is vinyl. I will have to check the CC level. What is the recommended level and how do you adjust?
Okay, vinyl pool rules out fiberglass itch. Recommended CC level is none. Tolerable is .5 or less. You eliminate it by burning it off with lots of FC and sunlight.

Do you have a FAS-DPD Chlorine test? That's the powder and drops one. That will test FC and CC very accurately.

My kids were in the pool for about 1-2hrs. Not all of them had the problem. Only two of them complained about it and I could see the spots on their skin...

I just ran out and checked the levels again. My FC is actually 7 and my CC is between 0 and .5.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not use chlorine-free shock. That will mess up your testing for CCs.

Are the kids using any sunscreen that may not agree with them? Do they sit in wet bathing suits for extended amounts of time after getting out of the water?

How are you chlorinating your pool now?

they are both exactly the same, the 10% is just stronger and you use less.. (and usually cheaper)

I can tell you I have skin problems, psoriasis exactly and the salt helps me very much..

What test kit are you using, TF100, K-2006?

Someone mentioned above about sunscreen. One of my children did show a sensitivity to certain sunscreens with red spotty skin. Low PH will cause irritated skin but according to your numbers above that isn't the case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.