Help with the taylor 2006 test kit

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
I finally received my taylor kit, and my readings are below, but do have a question on my chlorine test..First my readings..

ph= 7.6

alk= 100

hardness= 250

cya = 100 or just below 100

when I did the test for chlorine, everything went smooth and the water turned pink...it took me 25 drops to change to clear, which I times by 2 to get 50....then I added 5 drops of r0003 and it didn't turn pink, so im not suppose to continue since it then says add r0871 drops until it turns clear...did I do something wrong? or is my chlorine at 50?

vac'd up a few spots of poss algae again today, but not sure how much bleach to add, or am I already at a high limit?

25 ml sample, each drop is .2 FC. So 50 drops is 10 FC which is about right for 100 CYA. If the sample didn't turn pink when you added the R-003, you have no CC, which is perfect!

For future reference, use 10 ml sample on FC, and only one scoop of powder. As long as you have one or two undissolved crystals after you mix the R-0870, you have enough. Then each drop counts as .5. It's precise enough for most of the time and saves a lot of reagents.

You can repeat the CYA test by mixing half pool water and half tap water and then testing that sample. (Easiest way is to borrow a measuring cup from the kitchen and mixing one of each in a drinking lass or jar and then pour that into the mixing tube.) Double your result. You might find you're above 100 CYA. 100 is already too high for easy maintenance.

ok, ill redo the cya test with your instructions....but could the high cya cause my small algea problem? I know on my other kit, my chlorine was over 10, but as we know, we couldn't tell how much over 10...
Very easily. Probably the most common complaint here is an algae pool that is resistant to chlorine. What is usually behind it all is super high CYA from the use of trichlor pucks and dichlor shock.

Not so much for you, but for the others who have joined the site recently and are lurking... I wrote this a couple years ago.

We'll take a 16000 gallon pool, because that's what I have. On a fresh fill, prominent national pool chain recommends 2.5 pounds of stabilizer per 10,000 gallons, which works out nicely to 4 pounds which brings CYA to 30.

With an average loss of 2 PPM/Day or 14 ppm/week, I'll have added 8.6 PPM/CYA if I used trichlor pucks perfectly. And they recommend a weekly "shock" of dichlor between 5 and 10 FC.... 2-3 oz per 10,000 gallons. Split the difference; I'll add 4 oz. CYA went up another .9.

So..by the end of week one, I have added 9.5 more CYA. It is now 39.5. Minimum FC for that is 3, so I'm probably okay.

Week two, up to 49 CYA.
Week three, 58.5. Minimum FC should be 5, but they recommend 3 as ideal, so the pool looks a bit hazy. So I'll toss in a little extra dichlor "shock" to jack FC up to 10. Which adds another 6.4 CYA. Keeping count? We're up to 64.9 now.

That caught the algae just in time.. we had two weeks of good luck. A steady diet of pucks and 4 oz. "shock" each week only added another 19, up to 73.9 now.

Week 6 it started looking funky, so we "shocked"it once again. CYA is up to 99.3. But minimum FC to keep algae at bay is 8, and we're still holding things to 3, because prominent national chain's preprinted sheet shows that as ideal. So algae got a toehold and the pool has a bit of a tint. So we throw two whole bags of dichlor in which jacks it another 7.6 by the time week 7 is over, we're at 116.4, because we had pucks in the floater the whole time.

So...in 7 weeks, from 30 to 116.4. Let's say there are no more algae outbreaks because they sold me a huge bucket of phos-free and another of yellow-out monopersulfate "shock" Nothing but the pucks and the extra 4 oz of dichlor "shock" weekly. So the next 7 weeks added 66.5, which brings the total to 182.9 CYA.

Now if we didn't understand this and things looked a bit hazy, we might throw an extra puck or two in the floater every couple weeks, which will drive it over 200 easily.

Then I guess ill need to start backwashing to lower water level and refill...is there a danger zone for how much to drain for a vinyl above the ground doughboy pool? I hear its not good to drain, or is it just to a certain point?

Then I guess ill need to start backwashing to lower water level and refill...is there a danger zone for how much to drain for a vinyl above the ground doughboy pool? I hear its not good to drain, or is it just to a certain point?
Always leave at least a foot in the shallow end so it doesn't shift and wrinkle.

A doughboy is a pretty simple shape, so a tape measure will tell you how much is half.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.