Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting the pool going

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting the pool going

Hey guys I am new to the pool deal, but I just replaced the sand and bought a new filter and ordered the Taylor Tf-100 test kit. We poured algaecide in last night and the pool has turned a cloudy blue instead of green. While I am waiting on my test kit to arrive, and I have significantly reduced the algae what can I pour into my pool?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Getting the pool going

Hey there,

Could you please fill out your signature, it will help us give recommendations like this... Trouble Free Pool

stock up on bleach or liquid chlorine from walmart
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Done.
    Pool: above ground, vinyl, 24x24x4.5 Hayward pro series sand filter, Hayward power-flo LX pump 1.5HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Can someone help?
    Pool: above ground, vinyl, 24x24x4.5 Hayward pro series sand filter, Hayward power-flo LX pump 1.5HP

5. Back To Top    #5

Please don't pour anything into your pool except liquid chlorine, aka "bleach". Algaecides don't get rid of algae, they are meant to prevent it.

While waiting for your TF-100 to arrive, please only add 1/2 bottle of plain, unscented bleach from the laundry aisle (8.25%) each night until you can bring us test results.

Make sure you've removed any debris (leaves, dead possums, lumpy stuff, y'know?) from the pool too.

You're on the right track with ordering a test kit. And even cloudy blue is better than cloudy green, right?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Good Morning

your at about 13000 gallons, 24 foot round at 4 feet deep.. yep, just use 1/2 gallon bleach a day and use that brush and leaf rake

once you receive your kit, come back and post your numbers and we will go from there

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

7. Back To Top    #7

Read up in Pool School while you are waiting. Here are a few good places to start.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    Pool School - Getting Started
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Pour the bleach in front of the jet?

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Yes. To disperse it into the water as much as possible. Then brush around a good bit. Brushing never hurts the pool.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is a handy page on pool chemicals, what they are, what they do and how to add them to your pool. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Here are my test results
    Fc=7.5
    Ph-7.4
    Cya-60
    Ch-175
    Ta-120
    And now I have this collecting on bottom of pool when I get close to it vacuuming, it disappears for a bit and reappears image.jpg

12. Back To Top    #12

Looks like dead algae. You have to sneak up on it.

Numbers look good. Are you SLAMing? Have you done an overnight chlorine loss test? Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
    TFP Moderator