I just purchased a new filter that I installed and ran for approx 15-mins on Sunday May 22nd 2016.. WIthin 15 mins of turning on pointthe PSI jumped from below 10 to 25psi and then +30psi. Since I had been slamming another member advised that the PSI moves up quickly doue to all dead algae being cleaned from pool. I was out of town since last tuesday and toda started the slam process over again. Before adding chlorine I needed to lower my pH as it rained heavily in Texas while out of town. I removed the cartridge and cleaned it and reinstalled starting the pump. WIthin 10-mins the PSI was between 25 and 30. I thought something may be wrong with the pump so I removed the cartridge and ran the pump without it. WIth no cartridge the pump PSI did not go above 5-8 (ran for 30mins).. I reinstalled the cartridge and again the PSI jumped to 30. What am I missing? All together since I purchased the new cartridge (Pleatco - PAP200) it has been in the filter for less thatn 45-mins but with high PSI.

Sounds like your filter is doing its job. If you have a lot of algae in your water, your filter will get dirty quickly. If you can't keep up with the filter changes, run the filter on recirculate while you are busy so you can keep killing algae, then switch to filter when you have time to clean it.

Robert,

Well, you kind of just troubleshot your system yourself.. .. Works without cartridge and does not work well with the cartridge installed. That leaves two options.. the cartridge is "bad" which is extremely unlikely, or much more likely the cartridge is doing what it should, removing all the dead stuff from your water. You did not say what new filter you installed, but if it only has one cartridge, it sounds like it is on the small size for a 21K pool.

How does the filter look when you clean it? What type and size filter it is. What color is the water?

Jim R.

Jim, I reread my post and should have said new filter cartridge as opposed to new filter (sorry). I have a pentair clean and clear filter and yes it only has one filter. The water is green and the cartridge is blue. I can see the debris from the pool coming 9ff of the cartridge when cleaning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Robert,

If your cartridge filter is like mine, there is no way to vacuum to waste, so I think you are stuck with cleaning your cartridge every 15 minutes or so, until your pool starts to clear up. I live in Bedford, not too far from you, and our water rates are pretty low, I suspect you could drain and refill your pool for less that $75. I'm not sure I'd spend a week and $60 bucks worth of chlorine to do the same job.

Not sure what other options you have.... Maybe someone with a better SLAM experience will speak up..

Jim R.

This 1st slam process has not gone the way I expected but it was a learning experience. I'm at the point of no return regarding $$$ as I've had to purchase a couple of filters and the center core the filter goes on. The high PSI blew out the filters and cracked the center core I to several pieces.. The process works ...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would not think that the high pressure would destroy your filters. We just had a case the other day where the owner of a Pentair single cartridge filter was having high pressure which was damaging the filters. Turns out the filter had been plumbed backwards for several years and he did not know it.

A wild shot, but please make sure your plumbing is correct. The pump should be plumbed to the input side of the filter. This guy's was plumbed to the output side of the filter. It worked good enough for four years without him realizing anything expect his filters kept blowing up. Worth a shot..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.