Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanuric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanuric acid

Wonder if anyone can help me with this issue. We have an indoor pool which is covered most of the time. It is not used every day. We have a Nature 2 Cartridge and Chorine Tab Dispenser. The CYA levels were off the charts so I stopped using the Chlorine Tabs. We changed the water but CYA levels became elevated again. The pool guy told me to use Chlor Brite because it does not contain stabilizer but in fact it does. So I switched to Lithium Hyperchorite but CYA levels are still high. So far have only had a couple of issues with algae but seems to be under control.

When we re-built the pool we considered a salt system but were concerned about corrosion of the duct work used in the HV/AC and dehumidification system in the pool room. I've read about Liquid chlorine which seems to be the answer but not really looking forward to adding liquid chlorine all the time. Any ideas??
    Thanks
    PULIO
    12,000 gallons IG Vinyl Liner Cartridge Hayward C800 Jandy Pro Series Plus HP Model#PHPF.50 (single speed)
    Build /Install April 2011
    Nature 2 Cartridge and Chlorine Tab Dispenser Leslie Test Strips
    Helios Solar Water Heater on Roof

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cyanuric acid

Stenner pump with a 15gal tank to inject liquid chlorine (aka, bleach)?

CYA does not increase on it's own. Either your water still has very high concentrations of it or you are using a chemical product that has stabilizer in it.

How are you testing your water?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

A stenner pump would be ideal for your needs then. It injects small doses of liquid chlorine as needed.

An indoor pool benefits from a very low level of CYA.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PULIO View Post
    Wonder if anyone can help me with this issue. We have an indoor pool which is covered most of the time. It is not used every day. We have a Nature 2 Cartridge and Chorine Tab Dispenser. The CYA levels were off the charts so I stopped using the Chlorine Tabs. We changed the water but CYA levels became elevated again. The pool guy told me to use Chlor Brite because it does not contain stabilizer but in fact it does. So I switched to Lithium Hyperchorite but CYA levels are still high. So far have only had a couple of issues with algae but seems to be under control.

When we re-built the pool we considered a salt system but were concerned about corrosion of the duct work used in the HV/AC and dehumidification system in the pool room. I've read about Liquid chlorine which seems to be the answer but not really looking forward to adding liquid chlorine all the time. Any ideas??
    Thanks
    PULIO
    Are you saying that you changed the water, and stopped using the tabs, then switched to Chlor Brite assuming that would not raise CYA? But, you found out later it does, and then switched to the Lithium Hypo? So, your CYA levels are still high from the Chlor Brite, because you did not do another water replacement. Or, are you saying that you think the Lithium Hypo is also raising your CYA.

The stenner pump is a good way to go, but there are cheaper ways of doing that. For under $100, you can get a good tank, small pump, and timer that can do the same thing.
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006